Free charging

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JonR, Jun 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I charged my car yesterday at a park with a free level 2 charger while I ran. It charged about 6 kWh.

The high gas prices and how there are free chargers around town. I'm going to stop charging at home. Nothing but free chargers for as long as possible.

Anyone else want to try this experiment?

Denise C, Bzapp and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’ll have to find some. I think some spots at work offer free premium parking (about 100 feet from the airport terminal) if you plug in and pay hourly (whether it’s fully charged or not) and it works out to much cheaper than the daily rate for those premium spots, but my employer pays for my spot that’s a shuttle bus ride away.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

It is really nice to get free charging while doing other things. I started visiting a certain grocery store chain at least 50% more often because they offer free Level 2 charging.

Because of how far I commute I basically have to charge at least 50% every day, but I try to always charge at free chargers when I need a charge away from home. I've found a few free chargers conveniently on my commute route. But there's nothing as convenient as charging at home overnight, and it's only costing me $50/month. When driving my ICE Hardtop I was paying around $300/month in fuel pre-pandemic, and I'd probably be paying close to $600/month now.

F14Scott, Denise C and SameGuy like this.
  5. SameGuy

YUL
    I’ve found a couple of free stations local to me, but so far none at the outer reaches of where I might occasionally drive and need to get a 80-100% charge to get home (Burlington, VT, and Plattsburgh, NY, 110 and 75 miles away from my home station).

ETA: NB I’d likely stop at Evolve NY’s DCFC in Plattsburgh before grabbing the ferry on the 33 mile leg to Burlington. It’s all still cheaper than gas, though.

Denise C and J22 like this.
  6. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

https://www.plugshare.com/

I use this app to find the stations.

I even found a free DC fast charging station just a few miles from my house.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah it’s great! I also found a few home station owners along my routes that invite fellow EV drivers “in a bind” to contact them.

9. I went over 2 years from 2015-2017 without paying for charging my EV because of the plethora of free public chargers (even more of them now!). It’s actually kind of a fun game.

wessy, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Do Tesla destination chargers count as free charging?

11. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

Sure...Free is free, even you do need an adapter...

F14Scott, insightman and teslarati97 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

Nice. I keep the adapter in my vehicle. Not sure exactly what the charge rate is, but I think it's about 6kW (25A x 240V) if you adapt for the MINI instead of the full 7.4kW. Good enough.

14. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

JonR likes this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Opinionated much?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

And that's why I won't live in North Carolina, despite how much fun their roads are to drive with a Mini.

17. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

Considering they laughably think they are the victims in our society...no more making excuses for them.

JonR likes this.
  18. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

They are getting rid of all they free ones in my area. Most are .30 a min now.

19. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

We're seeing the "revolt of the buggy-whip makers" again. Luddites will take drastic measures to try and make sure their obsolete business remains in business.

MichaelC likes this.
  20. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that the most environmentally sound form of human transportation is actually the horse. So, perhaps regressing is actually the better path forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Walking is more environmentally sound than using a horse. Don't get me wrong - I like horses, and I live in an area known for horse farms. But horses must pass methane just like cows.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    A… minute!?

23. teslarati97

Not everyone gets government subsidized DC Fast charging at $0.03/min let alone $13,000 off a MINI (at least until June 30th). :)

SameGuy likes this.