Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Even, Jul 11, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Even

Even New Member

While driving my Ioniq 5 on the highway using cruise control with forward distance detection set another car cut in front of me and my car instantly began braking fairly hard. I took control of the car and soon exited to an off ramp. I turned off cruise control and the distance detection. Then I noticed a message on the instrument cluster that read “Check Forward Safety System “. According to the owners manual I should take my car to a dealer for an inspection. There is no mention of whether the car is safe to drive.
    I went into the setup menu in the car and the selections for the FCA where ghosted and unavailable. My dealer of choice doesn’t have an open service slot for three weeks. I’m reluctant to take it to an unknown Hyundai dealer.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue? Advice welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I expect the system was keeping you away from a car that was too close and might have slowed down enough to close the distance down to your car, so it acted.

4. Even

Even New Member

I think the system was doing what it was supposed to which was to avoid a collision; however, I took the car to the dealer last week and they said the front radar unit needs to be replaced. They ordered the parts and just waiting for them to arrive. It’s covered by the warranty. I have never struck anything with the front of my car and there is not a scratch on the bumper to indicate that it might have been bumped while parked. It’s a head scratcher.

5. Christopher Beer

Christopher Beer New Member

This is a guess, but I bet the Ionic 5 has redundant sensors for forward collision detection. When your car responded to the incident you describe, the front radar unit didn't register the vehicle in front of you properly. The "Check Forward Safety System" and the disabled settings were the result.

Mike Bearsails and ScubaSteve like this.