Forum issues

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex800st, Jun 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

is it only for me - this forum eats almost all the memory on my MacBook (to be exact a tab with the forum, any browser).
    It is practically unusable on my old iPad (everything else works fine).
    Now it is showing video clips at the bottom, and I am on a very weak cell reception.
    When I type a message often I get "there was a problem with the page, page will be reloaded" and I have to type all over again.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I’m finding a lot of the ads not just here but other forums are resource hogs. Since I appreciate this forum, I became a subscriber and got a lot of relief.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  4. I have a Mac book Air and will often have 2 or 3 tabs open and never have had any trouble. I often have the general form on one tab, the Kona forum on another tab and the Volvo xc40 forum open on a third tab. Still no problem I live in the country with satellite internet which is not great but still no issues.

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Unless you become a subscriber, the number of ads are over-the-top without an ad blocker. I've found the web site unusable when viewing on my Android phone due to the number of ads, and no longer visit this web site when away from my PC.

On my PC, I use an ad blocker that allows acceptable ads. Unfortunately, this web site doesn't follow the guidelines for acceptable ads, so almost all of their ads are blocked.

Anyhow, if they start to block me, then I'll stop visiting. I spend too much time here anyhow, so that will probably be a good thing.

Alex800st likes this.
  6. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

I stopped using ad blockers long time ago, I understand that ads are necessary to support the site and the owner (I have my own site). So I do not mind ads at all. But when the amount of ads interfere with site usability - looks like I will have to follow your steps and install adblock (or move to a similar site).
    And (in my opinion) video ad that starts playing by itself is absolutely not the best idea ever.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Any website with an autoplay video has me reaching to close the tab as fast as I possibly can.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

And put the sponsor on my fecal matter list.

Bob Wilson

10. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Try downloading the inside EVs forum app. I don’t see any adds and it doesn’t seem to eat up a bunch of memory on my iPhone.

Domenick and Alex800st like this.
  11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

If your browsing goes through a configurable proxy, you can set it to deny connections
    to the ad-site domains used by insideevs. This is a fairly complete list--

. blueconic.net, sellwild.com, crwdcntrl.net, threadloom.com, adthrive.com

which you'd need to adapt to your own wildcard format. For me, these get "sunk"
    without even logging the denials, so my participation is unhampered.

If you don't proxy, you might be able to set up a special browser config for
    reading the forums which proxies everything, but has "no proxy" for
    insideevsforum.com specifically. I think Firefox, for example, has selectable
    profiles you can work under, with separate proxy settings. That's an easy way
    to have a short "allow" list of target sites.

And most "autoplay" functionality should be under your own control.

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hi all. If you ever see a popup ad or an autoplay video, please take a screenshot and share it. We have a policy against these but every once in a while one slips through.

Harvey likes this.
  14. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

3DC5F4AC-6632-4525-86FC-C4E901647A8D.png 3DC5F4AC-6632-4525-86FC-C4E901647A8D.png 3DC5F4AC-6632-4525-86FC-C4E901647A8D.png

Domenick likes this.
  15. Ram Gowen

Ram Gowen New Member

Maybe while you opened the forum once or even the first time, some viruses attacked your devices. I don't think it's the forum that takes all your memory.

16. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

As you resurrected 2-year-old thread, I've decided to check - does that forum still eats a lot of memory or not (btw, I am an IT engineer). Here it is, top 4 memory eaters on my MacBook:

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 7.18.42 PM.png

17. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    This site really seems to slow down my machine, and pages take a long time to fully render. When my machine starts giving me Low Memory warnings, the first thing I do is close the tab that has this site open.

18. Thanks. I'll ask the developers to take a look.