Ford underestimating actual range?

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by RLXXI, May 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Saw this a little while ago and if this is true then this truck is going to turn reality on it's head as far as ev's go. 460 miles at 100% charge unloaded? o_O

The interesting part about the range starts at about 8:20 if you want to skip the rest but it's a very good in depth look at this truck, more so than Ford has actually released.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for the video reference. Probably in your neck of the woods (or for that matter anywhere with a warm climate) should expect better than EPA. I would also expect Ford to estimate range a little on the low side as to avoid any future controversy.
    The guess of 140 to 200 kWh is pretty broad and really doesn't provide a true answer. Under promising and over delivering is a good scenario hopefully relevant here. I would think details of the usable pack size will come out before actual deliveries, pertinent information for long range travel plans vs cost/hauling loads particularly with the commercial side of the market.

4. All I can say is,.... (The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades). :cool:

DaleL and Fastnf like this.
  5. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Ford did the same with the Mach-E. Most Mach-E owners are getting above the EPA estimates once they drive them for awhile.

I am sure winter months will put a damper on those ranges for both the Mach-E and F-150 Lightning. That's the nature of batteries in cold weather.

6. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Member

After multiple fast charges on long trips with the battery quite warm I still get significant range reduction in cold weather. I think the range reduction in cold weather has a lot more to do with the density of the cold air than with the temperature of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SThomas219 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Also cabin heating, especially with a resistive heater.

9. That's another item Ford hasn't discussed, climate control. Will they use traditional fluid circulation or some type of TED?

10. When I put a Li-ion battery in my motorcycle back in 2012 the instructions read, *If when cold and cranking is slow, turn on the headlight to warm up the battery* Apparently once the electrons start flowing it heats up the battery and will give full output and it does as one cold morning I tried cranking the bike and it was real slow. Turned the headlight on and by the time I pushed it out of the garage and put my helmet on, it spun over normal.

I believe the other poster about it being more to do with the denser air and having to push thru it.

11. Suzanne Roth

Suzanne Roth Member

60 Minutes did a segment on the truck on May 16th, with President Biden driving the truck (after the truck pulled a train!). I knew nothing about F-150’s. Was very impressed. Quite a plug for Ford.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

400 miles range is not possible in real world.

14. Opinion or fact? If the latter, please state your source for information.

15. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Member

What!?! Speaking as someone that personally driven a 2013 Ford Focus Electric, that was originally rated at 76 miles and already had over 10% battery degradation, 102 miles; 400 miles in the F150 Lightning with the extended range battery should definitely be possible in the real world. I’m not a big fan of hypermiling but, with hands free driving and a truck that controls the speed based on speed limit signs, I can see myself busting through the rated range as I kick back and enjoy the scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs