Ford test proves efficiency of surface heaters in BEVs

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by revorg, Feb 22, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

"... heating surfaces can reduce energy consumption in the interior of an electric vehicle by 13 per cent...", according to this article.

Now, if only we had heated windscreens, similar to the rear window defroster. The only time I really need to increase the cockpit fan speed is when I have more than one person breathing in the Mini. Love those heated seats and steering wheel.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Ouch says the guy that sold the signature with a heated steering wheel to get the signature plus (for the color and HK) and a $100 credit for the steering wheel.

fishbert likes this.
  4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Thus, the range in cold weather conditions could be increased by five per cent compared to a conventional heater fan, as Ford writes in a statement. As part of the project, engineers equipped an E-Transit with heated armrests, floor mats, door panels, sun visors and a heated steering wheel for practical tests.

The testers had to open and close the vehicle doors hundreds of times, realistically simulating the typical working day of a courier driver and tradesman, Ford says. Air heated by an electric heater fan is easily lost when the vehicle’s doors or windows are opened. The cold air that flows in must first be reheated, which costs energy. The heated surfaces, however, come into direct contact with the passengers and can thus deliver their heat without detours, which is not only more efficient in theory, but also in practice, according to Ford’s results.​

I hope you don't have to open and close the doors hundreds of times in a day.

Tommm likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Heated armrests might be nice, and perhaps a heated floor right where my feet are, although I suspect my heavy footwear and thick socks in the winter would negate most of the effect of that. Meanwhile, I find that the seats are a GD furnace. Even on low I find they get too warm on the coldest of days. I can’t imagine why anybody would adjust them even warmer with BimmerCode! Every time I use the heated steering wheel, I text my sister to let her know that her next car absolutely must have this feature. I even used it during the fall when it was only a bit nippy out, and it was wonderful.

CoachCookie and Tommm like this.
  6. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The heated steering wheel works with Green+, but the heated seats only work with Green and above.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.