Ford just increased their price by $7,000

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by ForceEdge, Aug 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

This sucks

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I second that.

4. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Actually, its a price increase of between 6 and 8.5k, pushing the extended range to about 80k starting.
    And my used 2016 still has far more range.

These prices are insane. We are talking nearly the price of a small house, for a vehicle.

5. Exactly. I just bought a two bedroom fixer house in Tehachapi for about that price. I was thinking about an XLT until the price increase. Now I might not even be able to afford the pro standard range. OUCH!!!

6. Roy2001

Roy2001 Member

I compared Lariat ER, price increase is actually more than $9100.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The higher price may make it easier to get one of these trucks while you can still drive.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. That assume you can afford one at the higher price

insightman likes this.
  10. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Exactly

You can still get an entry level f150 that does everything a truck can do, drives 400 miles on a tank, can tow 7k-8k pound entry level, can haul gear. All for about 35k entry. Now you can quickly add features and drive that cost up, but even for a crew cab XL 4x4 starts around 45k. You also have access to features like a 6.5' bed. These may be entry level trucks, but they are fully capable as a truck.

Now - if you can even get a Lightning Pro - that truck is a mixed bag. It has features the XL does not have, but it also can't do many things the base XL CAN do. No 6.5 bed. No other cab configurations. No 2WD to save money. And the big one, the range isn't close to its gas entry level counter part.

I recently took our tent trailer and my 2016 f150 - which normally has a range of about 400+ miles - took an efficiency hit, as expected. But I still went 300 miles. Highway miles. Even the extended range battery, which now costs you basically double the XL model, couldn't do that. Not on its own, and not with a trailer.

So if you need a truck, to do truck stuff, would you pay double for less "truck stuff" capability? I wouldn't. Maybe someday I would accept the limitations, if the truck had an 800v system to rapidly recharge, AND our highways had an extensive network. But right now they do not. And even then, I'd never pay double. Maybe 50k instead of 45k for the gas version, but not double.

YMMV

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That misses the point, at least for some people. I'm planning on getting an F-150 Lighting (still waiting for my turn to order) to replace my F-350. I use the truck for "truck stuff" all the time as well as plowing, and my F-350 is beat to hell. I've also had many, many, many repair expenses over the years in large part because of using it for work instead of as a vanity vehicle. Having an electric truck should eliminate almost all of the maintenance costs over the years, so the higher initial cost means nothing when amortizing the cost of the vehicle over ten years. On top of that, the complicated 4x4 interlocks get replaced by simpler dual electric motors, and instead of wearing out the dual 12 V batteries the F-150 Lightning can provide enough electricity without resorting to additional 12 V batteries. Finally, I won't be paying for fuel (my F-350 is diesel). I actually plan to use the F-150 Lightning for road trips, which I would never do with the gas-guzzling F-350 unless needed.

insightman and Fastnf like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I agree with you. My current F250 4x4 is a ranch truck. It hauls local stuff, pulls people out of the dirt where they should not have gone, and it entirely a work horse. I have never taken it on a road trip. Partially because the last fill up on the truck cost almost $200. It a great truck but strictly work. As I and the truck get older it more of a pain to get the truck to shift into compound low. I look forward to the instant torque at low speeds and being able to feather the accelerator pedal to just the right amount and also traction control in the dirt. I too will considered the new truck for road trips seeing as California has free charging at a lot of rest stops along the main freeways, At home it solar charging. I definitely think the truck is worth it. I was an early reservation holder in the first 2nd wave of the invites to order but by then the Pro was sold out and by the time I thought about up grading to the XLT it was sold out as well. So I extended my reservation and just last week was invited to order a PRO. It will take about a year to get it but it will be worth the wait.

Puppethead likes this.
  14. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Each to their own, for me, the range just doesn't work. As I said, I can get a truck at half the cost that can tow at least twice as far. Plus their are gas stations everywhere, but very few charging stations on the East side of the Sierra's. Someday, yes, I want one, but its going to need to be priced better, with 800v system, and we need a LOT more chargers out here. The recent camping trip I went on with my son simply could not have been done in the Lightning. For those willing to pay, and it works for you, that's great. But I want one truck for everything, not two because my lightning can't do all my truck stuff. Hopefully you guys buying it will fund R&D to make it better for the rest of us.

15. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I have to admit that I was more than a little shocked by the combination of the higher price on the Lariat and losing the $7,500 tax credit because the price is over $80k. But the price increase is not that much when compared to inflation and I expected the tax credit to disappear anyway because Ford had reached the 200,000 EV production limit. I have already benefited from the EV tax credit on five cars so I guess I can’t really complain about losing it on the F150L.

The big question is, do I want the F150L enough to just the justify the price. The answer to that question for me at least is a resounding “YES”. The two angles I’m working are trying to get the F150L I want at the lowest price I can and trying to get the most favorable financing terms but at the end I expect to take what I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. Texas Niro EV

NEVI should take care of the charging situation you mentioned. I have already spent seven years funding the EV R&D stuff you mentioned and I think we have already reached the practicality level for the F150L. It sounds like you are still more of an EV denier than an EV adopter but that fence is going to fall out from beneath you when the only new trucks can buy are EVs.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  17. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I've been driving an EV for years no, so NO, I'm not a "de nier", rather a realist who recognizes that the Lightning can't do what my 2016 F150 can do, for less than half the price. A big part of the issue *might* be fixed by better charging networks, but that hasn't happened yet! The closest EA station currently has 3 of 4 chargers broken, and my area is a remote dearth of chargers, with stretches of hundreds of miles and thousands of feet of elevation change. Try and drive across Nevada in the Lightning to some of my favorite areas. You simply can't do it. We don't all live in similar areas, and most of the trail heads and camping areas I visit simply can't be reached without additional charging stations. To say nothing of towing.

I actually WANT to convert my truck to an EV, but the use-case just isn't there for me. I'm not going to turn a current 3 hour towing trip into 6 hours (or more), that's insane. Sorry, that has nothing to do with denial, but actual physical limitations in the systems right now. Towing sucks with EV trucks until the systems improve. And did I mention cost? I'm not paying more than about 45-50k for a truck, period. You buy it, no problem. But it doesn't work for everyone. When you have a EV truck that's around $50k with 500 EPA miles of range (that's only 250 towing), and the charging networks are in place, I'll be first in line. Until then, there is no reason to throw shade on here.

18. Texas Niro EV

Nevada actually already has a pretty well developed EV fast charging network available to the F150L, you should check check out PlugShare.com. Before you criticize EV charging infrastructure you really should experience it first hand. I would be much more willing to entertain your criticism if you had real experience.

As far as price goes, the F150L appears pretty competitive with the ICE F150, but as the saying goes, “you get what you pay for” and many people place value on the sustainability and the long term cost savings of an EV. As far as the inconvenience of an EV you mentioned, you need to understand that we are experiencing an inevitable, profound transportation revolution and you wouldn’t believe that challenges us early adopters have had to endure to get to the level of EV achievement we are at today. EV technology development is accelerating faster right now than anything that has ever been seen the history of transportation.

Your reservations make you sound more than a little spoiled by a century and a half of dependence on the fossil fuels that are destroying our planet.

19. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I've been using Plugshare for years. The single sets of chargers in Tonopah and Ely are rated poorly, and they wouldn't be enough even if they were online. Go ahead, try and tow a trailer with the Lightning from where I live to Great Basin National Park. Or to Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Historic Park. You can't. Not in any reasonable way. If you are in Texas, you would have no idea what I'm even talking about, nor the trails and places I like to camp. How would you even know what fits my use case? I'm not arguing the future for EV trucks isn't coming, but it is not there for everyone right now. You do you, but in the end, everyone has unique use cases and we need to create EVs that fit the user's induvial needs. By the way, I've been driving an EV for years. Anyway I'm not going to argue with you any further. Good day.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  20. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

21. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Yep. It's a mess.

22. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member