First impressions FSD

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Nov 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

E-ticket ride!

The car updated to 2021.38.8.8 and with 5 days of 100%, it let me in. Version 10.5 could be smoother but ‘large water blocking structure’ it is awesome.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Enjoy! Just make sure you know where it's going to have issues and don't get complacent.

4. bwilson4web

The problem areas are left turns at intersections with more than one left turning lane. There are also a small number of hesitations. Left turns I manually take over. The hesitations are accelerator handled.

I’m still learning and growing more confident.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Yippie, got my first ‘Keep your eyes on road’ message. The cabin camera works.

Bob Wilson

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. bwilson4web

Regression testing of Neal Rd intersection revealed it is fixed. In the past, the car would dart to the far right curb.

Bob Wilson

8. Hey, Bob, how well does FSD work in snow? Heard you guys got 6 inches down there?!

We had about 5 inches a week ago, which is the most I have seen here in several years, and had to find my old shovel. My Kona didn't like it as we have a little hill at the end of our street, and had to turn off TCS to make it up.

Yesterday and today, it is raining, so pretty well all gone now, with green grass emerging again, and just some shovelled berms at the side of the driveway.

9. bwilson4web

They shutdown the roads but the ground was too warm. The snow became water and soon, black ice.

Bob Wilson

10. I guess this answers my question.
    https://insideevs.com/news/558832/tesla-fsd-beta-snow-fail/
    Wouldn't be much use in the winter for much of Canada and the northern states.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. bwilson4web

Heavy rain can also defeat FSD beta . . . as expected. I suspect fog is a problem too.

Bob Wilson

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Surprised nobody else has posted this yet:

Scary stuff.

There's a big difference between predicting events on the road early and well, vs. being predictABLE to the
    perception of other road users. Both are important, but sadly a lot of drivers never learn or think about
    the latter, and I don't expect FSD or its ilk ever will.

_H*

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

This was one reason why I was never interested in 'CleanMPG' advocacy of strange driving habits to save fuel:
    On an isolated road, I once benchmarked 'pulse and glide' and realized it was not something for ordinary traffic.

Bob Wilson