First 2000kms on Kona EV feedback

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Hofty, Sep 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hofty

Hofty New Member

Folks,

Just drove my first 2k on the Kona EV. Going to provide feedback.

- 20-80% Charge is fantastic. The Kona limits the max charge of KWH around 75KWH. Means I can get from 10-15% up to 80% in around 45-55mins. Close to the latter. The part no one has said I'd like to highlight that after 80-100% is reduced to 25KWH. Means that you have to sit around the charger for another 1.25 hour to get to 100%. In the forum's I have read. No one has mentioned this. I'm kind of baffled, yet I understand perhaps that the batteries cannot take the charge at a higher rate. Yet no one mentions this. Is it because I have a new car? Will it change?

- Estimated range. So. City driving. 10-15KWH with regeneration. Lovely. I feel like and have the predicted mileage around over 500 km's. It's lingers around the 170km range I drove 30kms in city. It reduced by only 10km's. Yes. More evidence needed to find out if that is true but I'm very impressed by city driving. This vehicle seems ewuipwdvri go over 600 km's on a full charge in the city.

- I drove uphill mostly (see comments on my load and speed) and I averaged 24KWH (210kms). Once I went downhill for 55kms. It lowered to 19.50KWH. The estimated mileage cannot predict when the downhills occur but holy ****. I had 2 adults 2 kids a small load and a dog driving between 90-117km/hr. Was scared I might not find a charging station to get EV some juice.

Summary: Lovely vehicle. Ample power. The 0-60km/hr is phenomenal. 0-100km/hr. Not tried but id estimate it's the 7.6seconds for a loaded car. Maybe less for one with 1 occupant. I tried some quick runs and outran most cars. A 5.0 Mustang was very surprised the EV can hold its own.

Overall. I spent $52000 CAD. I ran many many cost summaries for cost per km. Monthly cost over useful life. Maintenance costs. Feel free to ask me on financial data.

The Kona EV makes no sense what so ever unless you get MSRP price tag less the Canadian $8000 off (plus) the $6000 scrap it credit. I ran the numbers. If you want the EV "to save money" your basic MSRP less $8000 incentive still has you less off than the Kona 2.0 or 1.6T. Life cycle cost doesn't substantiate the extra cost. Long story short. If you want the EV. You need the total $14k off otherwise you are less for off

Anyone care to critique. ?

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

What you see is normal, and all EVs do this. Nearly all of the reviews specify charging time to charge to 80%, not 100%.

A lot of people only ever charge to 80% (or charge to 100% only when planning a longer trip). Some people believe that regularly charging to 100% can eventually cause the battery to degrade.

What you apparently do not yet know is that the charge rates can be significantly reduced in cold weather.

4. As with all EVs, I think reduced fast charging speed beyond the 80% is well documented.

5. Payback is better if charging is free. I have yet to pay for a charge (incl at home) and am up to 23K kms now (would be more if not for covid). I take it you live in BC. But in Vancouver we have the highest gas prices of any major city in NA. I got the full 10K subsidy on mine (May 1 2019). Didn't have a beater, so missed out on the scrap it $6000.

6. Congratulations on your new ride.

It is possible negotiate a price below MSRP. I am not sure about 8K but I was able to get $1100 off. If I took no incentives my payback in running cost would be around 7 years over the price difference of a luxury awd ICE Kona. This factors that about 40% of my total electrical cost are being covered by one of my employers. The buyback was still acceptable to me as I tend to keep my cars until they die of rot or get written off and assuming the car is still functional past the 8 year drive-train warranty. That said with incentives I was able to get my buyback to less than 6 months, so it was a no brainer in my situation.

7. To remove this ad click here.