Finally into the front brakes

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hobbit, May 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

After two years with the 2021, I made time to pull apart the front brakes for a looksee and cleanup.

. http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/brkcheck/fronts.html

Very different from the rears, with some interesting subtle features. The page on the rears [knock off
    the "fronts.html" bit] is much more brief, and those damn things are *still* noisy.

_H*

JoeS and KiwiME like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I found the link very informative. I have enjoyed your posts since Prius days. I have a question though. In my experience lubrication, especially with grease, leads to a very effective grinding paste in some applications. The grease retains hard particles from road contamination. Could this be a problem with the brakes?

4. Our driving environment is not as brutal but it’s always good to understand the scope of the job from someone else’s experience before jumping in.
    I had to clean up one rear disk on my ICE as rainwater drips off my shade sail and splashes on it. I removed the disk, installed it backwards held on with 3 lug nuts and used a drill motor-mounted grinding wheel to take off rust accumulated at the edges of the active area.

JoeS likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I don't use a whole lot of grease, just enough to ward off dry metal-to-metal movement. Even after the
    layer collects a little road dirt, it's probably still better than the alternative, and hopefully the next round
    of routine cleanout takes care of that. Not quite in agreement that "grinding paste" is quite the
    characteristic I would use, but maybe what they throw on the roads in your area is different?

_H*

6. Yes, lots of sand and silica. :-(

7. To remove this ad click here.