"Fan" noise while charging

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Cheap Sunglasses, Jul 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I recently took delivery of a 2023 signature plus. I've been getting what sounds like a fan turning on and off every few seconds in the engine compartment while charging on a 110 outlet. I don't recall it doing this the first few times I charged it. What is this specifically and is it normal behavior?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I hear the same. I believe this to be the cooling system circulating pump. It comes on and off as needed during charging. I’m guessing it also operates as needed during driving, but we simply are not able to hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Hi Jim. Thanks for the quick response. Does yours keep turning on and off or does it run for a longer period of time? It seems odd that it switches back and forth every 10 or 15 seconds.

5. Jim In Tucson

Since I’m in a very hot climate my garage is even hotter, so I always turn on a high flow squirrel cage fan aimed at the radiator while charging. I do this to (hopefully) improve the efficiency of the cooling system and (hopefully) allow it to not run as much.

But, yes, w/o the fan the cooling system runs off and on a lot.

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m monitoring temperature on top of the engine today I read 105” and outside was 85” once I park in my garage where temperature is now 78” I plug for charging and a fan from cooling system start right away .I stop charging bc I can charge when temperature of engine goes down .I can’t monitor HV battery but could be the same 105” like engine I really don’t know .I’m doing this for curiosity what is going there and hope the sensors take care of a cooling needs of SE as did today BF73973B-7E92-4FB7-B957-D584A4CC6CDB.jpeg .I heard that fan first time today and bc I charge a car at night 12-8am only a car is always cool as my garage temperature summer 80” winter 60” that’s why my cooling system never start with those temperatures is indoor garage in a ranch type of a house.SE have 1900 miles since January 2022.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Car was sitting in garage in 78” temperature for 9 hours and from 105” temperature went down to reach 83” temperature Right now I’m going to charge at L2 to see how temperature will rise when I achieve full charge . My probe to read temperature is glue to top of engine .

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I charged a car to 75% and temperature rises to 97” on top of the engine and Today I pay attention to a fan cooling and a fan was on and off throughout charging time .Garage temp.was 78”

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Once I have temp. On motor 97” during charging I assume HV battery is on the same cooling system /loop/ with engine bc during charging engine is not running but my reading of temperature was rise from 83” when I start charging and end with 97” when I finish.

11. My garage is rather hot as well. The fan might be just the ticket.

Thanks for the stats. When in doubt, charge overnight with a level 2 charger. ;-)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

I’m guessing that L2 would also increase the heat both in the battery and consequently in the garage.

Also, there has never been a documented L1 battery fire. All fires while charging have been L2 or DC.

Of course, there has never been a battery fire in an SE either, which I attribute to the superior thermal management system.

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

In 2 hr on L2 temp. Raise 14 “ as L1 is much slower the temp.for sure is not raising that fast.When my reading on temp.show me 105” driving with Max. AC and about 55 M/HR my plan is to remove engine cover just for summer bc this 105” is not dangerous but I don’t like it optimal temperature for EV is between 80-90” .What I read about EV likes just a body temperature which is optimal.98.6 “F .I just wander in Arizona .NM.CA .when you driving your cooling system works constantly.In NY I have 90 F . the most .

15. Jim In Tucson

I think it would depend on movement or the lack of movement. If the SE is moving and generating heat, the movement creates natural cooling as well. Of course sitting still in traffic jam the SE does not create any heat at all. So, even in the desert I think the SE is just about the most perfect urban and suburban car money can buy.