Family size Hybrid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jennie, Oct 26, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jennie

Jennie Member

My work colleague says her husband is maybe finally giving up on his 17 year old sedan. (Japanese marque, can't remember which). She asked me for suggestions for decent 5-person hybrid sedan. She drives a Camry. They make decent money but are spend-thrifts. Two young kids. He commutes in Dallas traffic/highways 20-25 miles one way. I am thinking they would be comfortable in a Japanese hybrid sedan, maybe Camry hybrid. Suggestions?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

I dunno, hybrids are hell imo. Either gas or EV, not half way between both. People think it's best of both worlds but I disagree, I think it's the worst. Maybe something dedicated like a Prius but these XYZ Sedan Hybrid variants no.

4. Jennie

Jennie Member

We have another thread talking about pros and cons of hybrid vs EV but would be interested to hear your opinions on why hybrids are the worst of both. I personally don't care for hybrids but I can't really put it into words! thanks!

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I'm always reluctant to give advice on which car someone should buy, because needs and wants in a car are very individual. What will the car be used for? Commuting, or hauling stuff (or hauling multiple passengers), or both? If it's for commuting, what's the expected daily range?

The only PHEV that has what I consider a good all-electric range is the Volt, and that has a back seat much too cramped if you're looking for a "family sized" car.

Instead of recommending any one car for you, I'll point to:

"The Four Most Important Factors When Choosing a Plug-in Hybrid"
    http://www.plugincars.com/four-most-important-factors-when-choosing-plug-hybrid-132741.html

Also, check out this comparison of different PHEVs currently available:

http://www.plugincars.com/cars?sort_by=field_msrp_value&sort_order=ASC&field_isphev_value_many_to_one=electric+%2B+gasoline

One important omission from that list, if you're looking for a family-sized PHEV, is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. That's a very popular larger PHEV in countries where it has been sold, and it is reportedly finally coming to the U.S. this December. Perhaps you can find a friendly Mitsubishi dealer who will let you test drive a regular (gasmobile) Outlander, so you can get some idea of how well that would or would not meet your needs if you can wait long enough to get the PHEV version.

Domenick likes this.
  6. They may want to take a look at the Hyundai Ioniq. It's supposed to seat five, but I suspect it's a bit smaller than a Camry. The base price is only $22,200 and gets a very strong 58 mpg.

If they are willing to go with plug-in, they will need an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) -- basically a home charging station -- and may want to consider the cost of that (there are incentives in many places to help with this cost), though having that also increases the value of a home, and will be needed eventually anyway.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

If they are looking for a Sedan, then the Malibu Hybrid or Ioniq would be good options.

For a crossover/hatch/SUV I would suggest a RAV 4 hybrid or Prius V.

Domenick likes this.
  9. Speaking of the Rav4 Hybrid, Toyota just introduced an LE model with a base price of $27,135. Gets 34 mpg in the city, 30 on the highway.