Faint noise like a high pitched but muffled umpire's whistle.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Electric Rich, Apr 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi all, I've noticed this noise since the 800km mark from my Kona. Normally only hear it when I hold speed at 50km/h. Its not constant but can often be heard in that situation. The noise goes when regen cuts in, and I don't hear it when accelerating. Seems to only be present when the car is in that zone where its just holding a speed.
    The sound is a quite high pitched sound, oscillating like a 'pea whistle' that soccer umpires use.
    Anyone had something similar?

Rich

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

I hear something similar under the same conditions, but it's very faint and not bothersome. Don't all electric motors have a whine to some degree?

4. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

These drivetrains make so many weird noises, you really need to record it if you want to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

Is it a cricket like chirping or ringing sound? If so, I get that on my Niro under the conditions your described. I posted recordings of it on the UK forum here. Unedited recording here

5. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, as this noise is not always apparent I'm certain it shouldn't be there. Its not a nice whirring noise or the sound of something spinning on smooth bearings. It sounds like something rattling slightly. Its not like your recording Wizzi but thanks.
    Going to be a tough one to get the mechanic to hear :(