Extension cable for Level 3 DCFC?

Discussion in 'General' started by C02less, Nov 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. There are extension cords available with J1772 connections at both ends for L1 or L2 charging. But is there an extension cable for Level 3 DCFC with a CCS connector at both ends? When I charge away from home I almost always use a Level 3 DCFC so an extension cable could be useful when a L3 charger is blocked. I imagine such a cable would be heavy and expensive, but do they exist at all?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Not as far as I know, mainly because of the different max powers of the chargers and liquid cooled cables, etc. I am sure that's not an option at all.

4. Found a CCS1 10 foot Extension cable. It list for $599 and can be pre-orderd. Just thought I would let people know that they are stating to appear online. I have know other information on it.

5. I personally would not buy one as I do not think they would be safe. I thought the forum should be aware that they are starting to be listed online more as a warning than any thing else.

6. Just found out that there is a UL standard that covers these. UL 2251.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Oh funky, J1772 female-male cable. But it costs more than many portable EVSEs. I know it's a different use case, but seems kind of pricey for a "pass-through" cable (I assume).

9. Prices for DCFC replacement cables are listing around $320( CCS-1 head on one end). So yea it seams a bit pricey. I am guessing prices will come down over time. The primary use that I can see is for use at Tesla Supercharging stations with the short cables (V3's)

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Park in the next-door spot where the short Magic Dock cable will reach your non-Tesla EV. You'll then be using one charging station and blocking the one where you're parked, but, hey, that's what works. In the empty spot in front of your charging station, put a tin cup with a sign begging for donations to buy one of these expensive CCS extensions.

Fastnf likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps the CCS-1 cars should have a 'pig tail' adapter. Two connectors, a plug and Tesla socket with a length of cable that will reach the Tesla bumper location:
    • Driver side CCS-1 cars - reach the rear driver side bumper with slack to open driver side doors.
    • Passenger side CCS-1 cars - reach the front passenger bumper with slack as needed to allow doors to open.
    • Optional - cable long enough to drape over a hood, trunk, or pickup bed.
    Bob Wilson

Fastnf likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.