Extended warranty, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Jun 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

My beloved Kona Electric has almost 60,000 miles. The dealer offered me two extended factory warranties: 4 years/60,000 more miles for $3,000 or 7 years 100,000 miles for $4,000.
    Should I do this? I love the car except for it's lack of heat pump.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd be suspicious of non-Hyundai extended warranties. Does the 4- or 7-year warranty period begin when you purchased your Kona Electric? Does the "60,000/100,000 more miles" begin the day you purchased your Kona or the day you purchase the warranty? What does the extended warranty cover is another big question. You may not be getting as much insurance as it might seem.

4. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi Paul, I can see why that is tempting. My only concern with my Kona is 'drive train issues'. If it packs up after 5 years (my warranty period). thats going to cost me plenty to fix out of warranty. I have no signs of it yet but so many have had issues, im nervous.
    If you plan to keep the car until it drops, then I think you could justify an extension.

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

If someone is anxious to sell you something, it's probably not a good deal. Extended warranties are famously lucrative for those who sell them.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Inside EV's parent, Motor1, did a synopsis of Hyundai extended warranties. Many other websites I saw when googling Hyundai extended warranties offer opinions on the value of these warranties. I, personally, wouldn't buy a non-factory extended warranty, fearing problems getting the warranty work done properly.

On reddit I found a year-old post that said: contact Crystal at Burlington Hyundai and she will sell you the extended warranty for less than half of what you were quoted. So it appears there are Hyundai dealers who offer better prices for Hyundai warranties.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Factory warranty only.
    I'd love to save a little on it