Excellent Tesla response to Florida crash

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jun 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/US/ntsb-investigating-tesla-crash-fire-killed-florida-teens/story?id=55062449

The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate a deadly Tesla crash and fire that killed two Florida high school students, the agency said.

Barrett Riley and Edgar Monserratt, both seniors, were traveling near an area known as “dead man's curve” in Fort Lauderdale Tuesday night when their all-electric Tesla Model S hit a wall and burst into flames, authorities said.

The boys, 18, died while trapped inside the burning vehicle, according to witnesses. One onlooker said he saw the victims moving, struggling to escape from the flames, but no one could help them break free.

A backseat passenger, identified as 18-year-old Alexander Berry of Fort Lauderdale, was thrown from the car and taken to a hospital with undisclosed injuries, according to ABC Miami affiliate WPLG-TV.

So I was glad to read:
    https://electrek.co/2018/06/20/tesla-remotely-limit-speed-mobile-app-update/

Going a step further than its ‘valet mode’, Tesla is now letting owners limit the speed of their cars with a new mobile app update alongside a vehicle software update.

Tesla owners with vehicle software version “2018.24 or above” and the latest mobile app update (Version 3.4.1) can now access a new speed limiter feature.

The automaker describes the feature in the update:

“Limit vehicle speed and acceleration with speed limit mode. Maximum vehicle speed can be set between 50-90 mph (80-145 km/h).”

It follows Tesla’s release of the ‘Valet Mode’, which temporarily puts a series of limitations on Tesla’s vehicles:

• Top speed is limited to 70 MPH
    • Power and acceleration are limited to 25% (80KW)
    • The glove box and frunk are locked
    • Access to certain vehicle settings is disabled
    • Access to personal information is restricted
    Now the new feature gives more flexibility to the owners in terms of setting the actual speed limit.

Being 68 years old, I like it! But I would prefer to see it limit speeds to the posted speed limit (PSL) with optional PSL + 5 mph. Then I read this comment:

Jon Erickson • 3 days ago
    I don't know about everyone else but my wife is going to troll me with this feature. She already honks the horn to mess with me.

Have the car start beeping its phone and enable the emergency flashers!

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.