EVSE Question

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Danhen, Aug 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Will a 40A L2 EVSE charge a Niro EV any faster versus a 32A unit?

If the answer is "no", would you suggest spending the extra $ for a 40A unit as a means of "futureproofing"?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. No, 32A is the max.
    If you want to future proof or not depends on your wallet and clarity of your crystal ball.

Danhen likes this.
  4. Do you need faster charging in the future. It really depends on your driving habits. I have a 32 amp EVSE but rarely use it at that setting as I only charge every couple of weeks. I usually set my EVSE to 12 amps and it will charge my Kona over night.

Even traveling I have not need more than 32 amps overnight.

If you have a long commute or just do a lot of driving you might want to up grade but other wise you probably don't need it.

The extra 8 amps is probably not going to be that much quicker. If you do want to future proof consider a 48 amp or 60 amp EVSE.

Danhen likes this.
  5. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

You may also want to consider your breaker panel and how much capacity you have remaining -- I don't remember the formula for what size breakers are needed for those EVSE capacities (surely others on here do and will chime in), but if you buy a 32A EVSE I think you can use a 40A breaker for that, whereas with a 40A EVSE you'd need a 50A circuit (again I don't remember the exact specs of how much larger the circuit needs to be, surely the licensed/installing electrician would) and that could be a factor for you depending how much "room" you have left on your panel.

Kevin Smith likes this.
  6. @jeff_h You're correct. 80% max.
    So 32 max on a 40 breaker and 40 max on a 50 Amp breaker.

jeff_h likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.