EVSE - Chargepoint WiFi features?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hoon, Jul 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hoon

Hoon Member

I had a JuiceBox Pro 40 (2019), and after almost a year it started developing GFDI ground fault when I unplug the charger from my car when fully charged.

My car is a 2019 Honda Clarity PHEV and doesn't have a charge limiting function from the car itself. I like to keep it under 80% (usually taking the battery between 40%-60%) and I have a consistent commute so it's pretty easy to keep it like that.

I had the max charge limit set to 60%, and when I come home and plug in, I would open the app and adjust what my current battery level is. Then it would always charge it very close to that 60% mark. I also change the charge current to 40A once in a while for max speed, but usually keep it at 16A otherwise.

But due to the GFDI fault happening more than three times, I returned that unit, and got another JuiceBox Pro 40 Next gen (New 2020 design). Now, this one is having even more issues as the max limit keeps changing on its own so I'm looking at ChargePoint home charger. Also the wifi is pretty iffy, it drops often times even though the router is pretty close to the charger.

My workplace has ChargePoint, so having one app would be good. However, my worry is that ChargePoint doesn't have any kind of charge limit feature. It only has a "stop" button on the app, is that correct? Is there a way to just charge for 1 hour? It looks like GoogleHome feature isn't there yet either so I can't just say "charge for 1 hour".

Anyone else have a workaround or any other product that supports controlling through a phone app?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I recommend going to Chargepoint's website or visit them on Facebook and ask the question if nobody here knows. I sent them a message on FB and they replied within an hour or two when I had questions. Good luck!

4. Hoon

Hoon Member

I asked a question in Amazon, and they just referred me to their website which I already checked out. I don't think there's much to see in their ChargePoint app. Sure, the basic stuff such as monitoring energy usage and scheduled charge hours may work, but other than that, there's nothing to see there.

Can't charge just 5kWh (about 33% charge for Clarity PHEV), no delayed charging or such.
    My new JuiceBox Pro 2020 version is having terrible wifi drops and lot of bugs on remembering what max percentage I set it to. Intermittent short charges even when it's supposed to be stopped. I'm returning this too.

5. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

I have a ChargePoint EVSE. I use a different tactic in regards to maintaining battery longevity. Lithium ion batteries don’t like to be full for extended periods of time which is why people follow the 80% rule as long as their daily commute falls in that range. My approach is to minimize the time the car is at full.
    Knowing that my Clarity takes 2 hours to charge I set the ChargePoint schedule to start charging at 4:00 so that it’ll be topped off shortly before I leave for work in the morning.
    This also helps precondition the battery in the winter since charging alone produces enough heat to warm it up before my drive.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Hoon

Hoon Member

Thanks for your reply Mike. I agree, it's best to charge right before using the energy especially when it's close to full.

JuiceBox has that feature you are talking about. You can have it start charging 4:30am for example, and it's very easy to adjust every time you plug the car.

My routine is that when I come home with about 40% battery left, and I plug it in and open the Juicebox app, set current charge to 40%. I have my max limit set to 60%. This is also easily adjustable on the fly. Then it'll charge up to approx 60% and stop charging. If I have some errands in the evening I can still do those with 60% battery left. Otherwise, this will be used in the morning commute where I get to work and it'll be about 40%. I have a ChargePoint at work.

All this good smart stuff is great when the Juicebox works properly. With the 2020 version Juicebox, it's having all sorts of issues and definitely going to return this one. Their tech support is very good but if the product fails so badly, it's not going to be worth it.

I was hoping the more expensive ChargePoint has something similar in the feature. Seriously wondering why ChargePoint is so expensive.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

If you are on a pretty set work schedule you could always set the charging times to do that.

Say you leave for work at 7am and come home by 4pm every weekday.

Set the charge schedule to be start charging at 5am and stop charging at 5pm

I did that before I switched to a TOU energy rate with my OpenEVSE charger. My utility provider then offered $500 rebate if I switched to a TOU rate and purchased an eligible EVSE which is why I bought the ChargePoint.

Not sure why ChargePoint is so expensive now with their new Flex EVSE. I bought their Home 32 EVSE for around $500.

Just checked, you can get an OpenEVSE 40A Charger for $400. Lacks some of the pretty interfaces you might be accustomed to, but it doesn’t have to be so complicated once you set the schedule up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk