EVgo and General Motors Open 1,000th DC Fast Charging Stall

Discussion in 'General' started by Nebula, Aug 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just saw this news and thought I'd share here:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/08/evgo-and-gm-open-1000th-dc-fast-charging-stall/

https://news.gm.com/newsroom.detail.html/Pages/news/us/en/2023/aug/0801-evgo.html

EVgo Inc. (NASDAQ: EVGO), one of the nation’s largest public fast charging networks for electric vehicles, and General Motors have surpassed 1,000 fast charging stalls as part of their longstanding collaboration to expand fast charging infrastructure. First announced in 2020 and expanded upon in 2021, the collaboration will lead to the development and installation of 3,250 DC fast charging stalls in major metro markets.

To date, EVgo and GM have opened fast charging stalls across nearly 230 locations in 39 markets covering 27 states, with the majority featuring high-power 350kW fast charging. EVgo and GM are working together to broaden access to public charging where EV drivers already spend time, such as grocery stores, retail centers and city centers, while also serving the need for customers who are unable to charge at home or work, such as renters and those living in multifamily dwellings.

“The availability of fast charging infrastructure is key to widespread EV adoption and consumer confidence in all-electric transportation. That is why we’re working with GM to build convenient and reliable fast charging stations across the country to serve current and future EV drivers,” said Cathy Zoi, CEO at EVgo. “Today, we’ve hit a major milestone in our joint efforts to electrify the transportation sector and we look forward to further expanding our charging footprint with GM in the coming years to realize our vision of Electric for All.”

EVgo is one of GM’s preferred EV charge point operators within its holistic Ultium Charge 360 initiative. Beyond collaborating to expand public charging access, EVgo and GM are also working together to further improve reliability and enhance customer experience through a comprehensive action-oriented plan, including enhanced health checks across the network and customer education through GM’s dealer network to help new EV buyers navigate public charging for the first time. The companies also helped to launch Plug and Charge in 2022, a feature that allows drivers to start a session simply by plugging in, no additional payment authentication needed.

“As GM advances its vision of an all-electric future, it’s imperative we expand public charging infrastructure to complement the rapid expansion of our breakthrough EV portfolio. Together, these two efforts are making ‘EVs for everybody’ a reality,” says Hoss Hassani, GM vice president of Charging and Energy. “This milestone with EVgo underscores our commitment to supporting more customers as they switch to an EV lifestyle by expanding access to convenient charging everywhere.”

EV adoption is accelerating in Illinois, where legislation passed in 2021 established a goal of reaching 1 million registered EVs by 2030, and created new vehicle and charging infrastructure incentives to be administered by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA).[1] In addition to the IEPA programs, Illinois will spend $148 million installing EV charging stations along interstate corridors over the next five years as part of the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program, supporting the expansion of public charging that will be needed as more drivers in the Midwest make the switch to electric.

A ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the 1,000th stall was held in Woodridge, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, at the recently completed charging station at the Woodgrove Festival Shopping Mall. The station is in a prime retail location within a short drive of Interstates 55 and 355. The event featured a distinguished lineup of speakers including GM Director of EV Infrastructure Deployment, Alex Keros; GM Vice President of Charging and Energy, Hoss Hassani; EVgo Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel, Francine Sullivan; EVgo Senior Vice President of Program Deployment, Marcy Bauer; ComEd Vice President of Strategy, Energy Policy and Revenue Initiatives, Scott Vogt; and Chairman of the Illinois Commerce Commission, Doug Scott.

For more information about the EVgo fast charging network and station locations, visit www.evgo.com.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

More chargers is always good, but why EVgo? In the northeast, EVgo is hands down the worst network available. I have been burned one too many times trying to use them. Instead of installing more chargers to decay into disrepair, let’s maintain the ones in the ground and get them working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Mark W likes this.
  4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I agree, we need a way to keep the chargers that are installed operating. That's the biggest problem.

5. GetOffYourGas

Hopefully increased revenue from the growing customer base plus increasing completion (including from Tesla) will incentivize all players to improve.

insightman likes this.
  6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't believe EVgo is doing much, if any maintenance on their 50 kW stations. It's my understanding that they plan to either remove or replace them with higher kW stations. The 350 kW stations around here seem to be more reliable.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

It looks like both EVgo and Tesla are going to tiered pricing depending on the time of day around here. Tesla appears to be much cheaper then what is published on the EVgo website.

I was a bit shocked to see what EVgo has listed as their tiered pricing for Washington state. That's going to put more pressure on the Tesla stations if they hold to those prices.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  9. GetOffYourGas

That’s good to know. There is a new 350kW station in Albany NY. I’ll check it out next time I’m passing through. But almost all of their surrounding 50kW stations are in various stages of disrepair. So the 1,000 number, while technically true, is highly misleading.

10. The 1000 number is chargers GM has funded so ones that are branded Ultium Ready, none of those are 50 kW stations.

GetOffYourGas and marshall like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Nashville has at least three EVgo stations and all but one have been reliable. As for Electrify America, worse odds than winning the lottery.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

It still surprises me that these networks’ reliability is so regional. In my experience (east coast from South Carolina to Maine), EA is rock solid. You may have to wait for your turn but the lines are because people know they will work. EVgo is a network you should never depend on. Maybe stop by out of morbid curiosity but make sure you have enough range to make it somewhere else.

bwilson4web and Mark W like this.
  14. marshall

EA is replacing the chargers at the local station here. Hopefully, the new ones will be more reliable.

GetOffYourGas and bwilson4web like this.
  15. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Without discounting the importance of reliability, some places are in desperate need of more fast chargers. Here on Hawaii Island we have a grand total of 9 DC fast charging stations for 4,030 square miles, all 50 kw max. I don't think more than a couple have more than 2 plugs, and at least one has just 1. Two are presently listed by PlugShare as not working or under repair. That makes it nearly impossible to drive an EV here if you can't charge at home (a few people domanage it, but it's a royal pain in the a**). Efforts are afoot to create more, but I think anything's going to be for at least a year, probably more.

GetOffYourGas and bwilson4web like this.
  16. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

They still haven't managed to manually enroll me for Autocharge, after promising for MONTHS now
    that they would get my info entered into their database. I'm not dealing with their app, and they need to
    set things up so users can set themselves up via the normal website if they know their vehicle's MAC
    address and VIN.

And most of their old 50k units along the Massachusetts Turnpike at rest stops have been dead for
    over a year...

_H*

17. Don't know your issue with AutoCharge.... it's an easy setup. You need to deal with their app then go through the setup in GM's App.

As for the 50 kW units... most of those are going to be decommissioned or replaced over time don't think many of them are going to be repaired.

18. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Understood, but I don't deal with charging apps and they've basically promised that they'd take the
    info I gave them and set me up anyway. And then seem to have ignored the whole thing or kept
    makimg "working on it" excuses, which is just f'in rude. Their support seems really incompetent
    in a lot of ways.

More networks need to support Autocharge, so the older vehicles that will never get upgraded to
    full ISO15118 P&C can get the "tesla experience". People who don"t understand how it works keep
    saying it's such a security problem -- which given the mechanisms and what's actually at risk, is
    utter rubbish. See my article.

_H*

electriceddy likes this.