Everyone concerns about battery life... what's about the electric motor?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by qtpie, Jul 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

I see many threads questioning how long the battery would last, but no one seems to be concerned about how long the electric motor would last.

IMO, battery is replaceable when it dies... like many battery-operated devices. However, if the main component has issues, such as the electric motor... it would be an expensive component to replace.

Any thought on this? Any statistical data on how reliable the electric motors on other PHEV/BEV cars, such as Volt, Prius, Testa, etc? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I believe in most cases the motor will outlast you. When you're long gone and buried the motor will still be working well.

Just kidding but these are brushless motors. Only the end bearings are subject to wear.

NeilBlanchard, AnthonyW and marshall like this.
  4. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

For a motor issue, I would bet that the Honda dealership replaces the transmission a unit and ships it to Japan for a swap.
    Depending on the state you are registered in, Honda's hybrid components are warranted for a long, long time.
    If someone has information on exactly what parts are emission or hybrid related and the time-frame for coverage, I would be interested also.
    In Mass (and all California emission states), the emissions parts are 15 years/150K miles.
    Is the power-train part of the emissions system?
    For power-train warranty, the manual refers customers to the emissions warranty section.
    Inquiring minds want to know.....

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

In addition to being brushless, I believe it’s also a permanent magnet motor. Throw in the seldom used ICE, no fan belts, no alternator, no starter, no compressor clutch, and aluminum body panels and it should outlast all of us.

And when the rest of the world is flying around in George Jetson/Back to the Future fusion powered cars, I’ll be happily scrounging up parts for my old “classic” Clarity, putt putting (or rather humming along) to old car rallies, and talking about how we had to plug in cars back in the old days.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    atr, NeilBlanchard, weave and 5 others like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Can only speak by analogy, but out here in the oil patch many wells are pumped by electric motors running 24/7, which are much more reliable than the old natural gas or diesel motors...

KentuckyKen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Correct, electric motors are work horses. Brushless motors have a floating assembly reducing friction with no contacts. These motors are over built for the work they perform. In ten or twenty years you’ll read stories of people pulling these motors out in junkyards to repurpose.

9. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Agreed, the motors just roll and are liquid cooled.
    Battery chemistry lives a rough life, but will last a long time if Honda's battery management controls maintain tolerances.
    Battery assembly has a long warranty, so I would think Honda did their homework.

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

That's because the electric motor is almost certainly going to outlast nearly everything else in or on the car, including the body. It's very, very rare to see a failure of a motor in an EV powertrain. And I don't mean just "rare" in terms of percentages; I mean rare for it to ever happen.

There are many things to concern yourself with regarding EVs, and cars in general. This ain't one of 'em.

11. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Electric motors can fail, but in general should not. Overheating would be most likely cause of failure, maybe followed by bearings.

Two examples in EVs today with motor failures are bearing races can fail in Chevy Volt causing a "skill saw" sound from motor. Generator in i3 Rex can fail causing it to not generate power anymore. I am not sure reason for generator motor failing in those, but people often think it is their Rex being replaced, but their repair just shows the ICE being removed and a new generator being installed.

My guess is motor should last life of the car.

12. To remove this ad click here.