EV9 Preview Tour

Discussion in 'Kia EV9' started by GetOffYourGas, Aug 31, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Kia has started bringing the EV9 around the US. It won’t be in my area until October, but has anything me else on her had a chance to see one in person yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

I guess there isn’t much excitement for this vehicle in this forum.

This weekend I took a trip out to Schenectady NY to see it in the flesh. The salesmen knew less about it than I did (not surprising), but it was nice to sit in it. The kids all sat in it too and they are in love with the space. We are currently a family of 5 using a Bolt EV to travel. So having a third row is a game changer.

I like that the third row can fold partially, with a child in one of the seats. Will make packing for camping or Christmas easier.

I hate how tall it is and how prominent the hood is - visibility close to the front of the vehicle is very limited.

Lots of creature comforts in the display model. Massage chairs in the middle row? That’s almost a bit too much! I probably won’t be paying for that trim (sorry kids!).

It has a nominal frunk. Maybe it will hold a small backpack. More likely I’ll use it for a portable L1/L2 charger. That way I can get to it without having to empty the trunk first.

I didn’t take many pictures, but here is one of the interior from the rear. It’s cavernous. [​IMG]

electriceddy and insightman like this.
  4. GetOffYourGas

Oh, and I should mention that a modest sized adult has plenty of room in the back seat. I’m 5’8” and had plenty of leg room in all three rows. A taller adult may want to stick to the first two rows.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have a MINI Cooper SE, the furthest (barring the original Fiat 500e) vehicle from the EV9, but I enjoyed reading your report. For those who want more photos, this Car and Driver article has 66 of 'em. Here are the third row seats:

upload_2023-10-9_19-7-29.png

electriceddy and GetOffYourGas like this.
  6. GetOffYourGas

Thanks. I am pretty much sold on this for the family hauler, despite my inclination towards small cars. I also have a Mini SE will will remain my personal commuter. I’m pretty sure it could almost fit inside the EV9!

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I wonder what the efficiency is on it. I went from a Kona to an f150 lighting and my efficiency dropped from 4.2 miles/kwh to 2.1 miles/kwr. I don't drive a lot and have solar for charging so it is ok for me but I do notice the extra cost if I go on a road trip.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. GetOffYourGas

The Long Range RWD gets 300 miles with about 100kWh, so right around 3 mi/kWh. eAWD gets less range with the same battery. The Lite (base model) has a smaller battery (76kWh), and also seems to get around 3 mi/kWh.

[​IMG]

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  10. GetOffYourGas

Yes I know it’s not entirely that simple (these numbers are estimated, and we don’t know if the battery sizes are usable or total). But 3 is a good rough estimate. Makes sense for a vehicle this size. In fact that’s not that bad. Also makes sense that the lightning would be less efficient.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. The lightning is all wheel drive and a full size truck. Given that I think it is fairly efficient for what it is. Looks like the EV9 is fairly efficient for it size as well. Generally Hyundai/Kia products are efficient.

electriceddy and GetOffYourGas like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hope you don't mind I posted a new thread showing the actual pricing and trim details as released by Kia America... reason being it is kind of buried here and I thought it would be more exposed in a separate pricing thread...Thanks Ed

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The MINI SE covers first base, EV9 will cover a few more--you'll have all the bases covered!

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  15. GetOffYourGas

Not at all, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for starting the other thread!

electriceddy likes this.