EV Watchdog App

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Daniel Santos, Dec 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Happy to announce the EV Watchdog Free App (Android only) has just been published.

Following the PHEV Watchdog App (which supports the Outlander PHEV, Kia Niro PHEV, Kia Optima PHEV and Hyundai Ioniq PHEV) and after some requests I've decided to create a new Android (only) monitoring App for Kia and Hyundai EV models.

Watchdog is a complete monitoring App, it does not only extract and display info provided by the car systems in real time but creates more stats and analysis and keeps track of everything by storing historical data in it's internal database.

Here a couple of screenshots of the live monitoring screens (or where you see the info while driving)
    [​IMG]

The App keeps track in a list of the battery condition (changes in SoH and SoC). And you'll get one card for every changes seen (screen on the left). From each card (one tap) you'll have access to the details of the recorded state (right screen).
    [​IMG]

You can get the App from playstore here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ev.watchdog

And be sure to check the FAQ on the website:
    https://evwatchdog.net/help/faq.php

Also if you're in facebook please join the Facebook group for the App:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ev.watchdog

Enjoy!

Lars likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bri

Bri New Member

Well done Daniel. Thanks!

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

This requires an OBD Dongle, right? And is this EU only? or optionally displays US metrics?

5. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

As European I haven't checked it but it does have the option US "metrics"

6. Yes it requires a OBD2 dongle and not all will work with the App.

You'll find a list of adapters known to work with the App in the website: https:/evwatchdog.net

Works with all known units and you can even adjust individually each figure to the desired unit just by taping.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. v1.3 now available in two versions:

The existent free ad based version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ev.watchdog
    And a new premium paid version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ev.watchdog.full

List of extended features of the premium version here: https://evwatchdog.net/app.php

Changes for v1.3

Free version:
    • Minimum supported API level raised to 16 (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean)
    • App's folder migration to Download folder (required for targeting API30)
    • Added file debugging
    • Added autostart prompt options
    • Fixed negative temperature values
    • Fixed freezing when starting live data from the cells chart screen
    • Several other bug fixes ands adjustments

• Premium version, all the above plus:
    • Added notifications for cell voltage
    • Added average line for charts
    • Added Charge X Time and Temperature X Time charts
    • Fixed linear distance for near by stations

FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ev.watchdog/
    FAQ: https://evwatchdog.net/help/faq.php

9. Neat app, works with my cheap amazon dongle. A couple of observations displayed SOC doesn't seem to always report the vehicle display SOC correctly, particularly if it drops to a 0.5% difference, for example EV watchdog will display 76%, car will display 75% and torque pro 75.5%. Again this is just the displayed SOC. The BMS SOC reporting is accurate, so not a really big deal. The battery inlet temperature on recent trial showed no temperature reading on EV watchdog while torque pro registered -10C. Is there a low temperature cut off in the app? The other thing I noted is that the app does not want to concurrently share the OBD dongle with other apps, i.e. you can't run torque pro at the same time as EV watchdog, you have to completely log out of Torque pro not just close it. This may be a limitation of Android and or the Bluetooth standard.
    Overall a very neat app that I see as a decent, easier to use/setup substitute to torque pro. If you already figured out how to run Torque pro I am not sure you will get any more information. The EV watchdogs paid app options, battery alarms are neat but I am unconvinced I really need them.

milesian likes this.
  10. Hello apu, thanks for the feedback.

Display SoC is an estimate it's roughly set at 95% of BMS SoC.

I'll have to check the battery inlet temperature reading, because it should be there for all models.

The App uses extensively the OBD2 port, with a fast adapter it's able to pull usually +50 commands/second and this is needed in order to compute statistical data accurately as it's not only a live data display App as is mostly Torque Pro. There is a lot of info you'll find in the App (see the trip details or battery condition details) that does not come from the OBD2 interface and that is inferred by the App, like all sorts of min, max, counts, averages, totals (like energy consumed and regenerated), stop, glide and regenerated time and more.
    That said Torque is know to lock all access to the adapter, so definetly you cannot run both.

I'm sure after some usage you will see the Watchdog and Torque are very different apps. For what I've already said above (statistical data computed by the App) and because it has historical abilities and can keep track of all your trips and battery conditions. And this opens a whole new level in stats, not only for a driving behaviour analysis but for example with enough logged data you rank the lowest cells voltages and thus spot a poor cell performance.

The paid version gives you not only notifications but the graphical interface:
    [​IMG]

The interesting live charts:
    [​IMG]

The nearby charge stations:
    [​IMG]

And the possibility to log all your trips in CSV files:
    [​IMG]
    And that's for the moment as I'm now working into enabling the sync option which will allow (optionally) the user to send data to the website which will function as a data portal offering more data analysis not only for each one but globally across all user's data (global stats, rankings, etc...).

But I will agree with you, it's a very technical App and surely not in everyone's needs and I also know this is a niche market so not really after a commercial success. It's spare time solo project (everything you see was made by me, from the whole design to the coding) but running a server does have costs and having some return just gives me motivation for developing the App and add new features.

Lars and Rick2020Kona like this.
  11. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I have a problem. Often, when beginning to use the app, I get a message like "make or model not found"
    I see no place to enter a make or model.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Hi,
    I have seen this too.
    Besides , again when you start the app not in the car reach (or OBDs bluetooth signal off ), the app hangs when trying to resume. The workaround is to disable resuming.

14. There is no such kind of message in the App.
    Would it be? "Could not identify vehicle model type"

15. It was a bug in a previous version. Do you have the latest version installed (v1.2.5)?

16. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Hola Daniel

I have one newer 1.3.2021JAN20. But maybe you're right and 1.2.5 didn't have that bug, because I saw it solved.
    As for the message Paul claims, maybe the exact wording is the one you mention and not his: I'm not in the car very often.

Obrigado

17. Sorry I meant 1.3 is the latest... I'll give it a look then.
    For 1.3 you have also two new autostart options that will prompt before starting/resuming allowing you to cancel or switch from start to resume or the other way around.

18. About the "Could not identify vehicle model type" that happens when the App could not pull the VIN number from the adapter.
    This why there is no place to insert the model because the App will do that automatically by accessing the VIN number which is first request it does to the adapter.

You should make sure the adapter is available before starting live data in the App (or launching the App if you have autostart enabled).
    Also which adapter are you using?
    Might be the adapter failing or a very slow one which would originate timeout errors.
    You can check the adapters performance by accessing the details of any trip card under data resolution.
    Should be around 30 commands/second, a fast one could go up to 50.

19. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

I'm using Vgate Icar BT https://m.es.dhgate.com/product/act-1pc-vgate-icar-bluetooth-elm-327-car/464130962.html#redirect_detail=PC2WAP
    About Checking VIN at start being the problem of the message, what I can say is did not appear in previous versions.
    About the resume issue (it hangs and/or throws an exception) what other thing can I do when I have it configured but I'm not in the car?
    I'll check the performance on my Vgate as you say. I bought it five years ago for LeafSpy. Maybe it's falling behind newer ones

20. Does it crashes? Do you have any crashlog files in the App's debug folder? (Download\EVWatchdog\debug)

Check the autostart option in the settings menu, you'll find there two new options added to the list "prompt and start" and "prompt and resume".
    These will pop a dialog box during 5 seconds from which you can cancel the resume or restart.

21. Yes it's an old one, I believe their first iCar model.

The App makes an intensive use of the OBD2 adapter by constantly requesting data. This is necessary to ensure accurate calculation of the statistics.
    Energy consumption, for example, is calculated by monitoring the battery current which can constantly vary. Consequently the accuracy of the calculation will obviously depend upon the frequency of the data sampling.
    The speed at which all data is obtained and processed depends upon the speed at which the adapter responds and also the speed at which the Android device is capable of processing it.
    Commonly any quad core Android device available on the market is capable of processing data at acceptable speeds.
    The performance problem is usually with the adapter that is unable to keep up with the App requests, returning errors and timeouts.
    As a reference, fast adapters such as the OBDLink LX with an Android octa core device can achieve up to 50 commands per second.
    Average values below 15 commands per second are an obvious sign of poor performance and will most likely cause connection failures since after 6 consecutive commands with no response, the application cancels the communication by itself.

ttsherpa likes this.
  22. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

I'll take a look at those two new options next time I get into the car. Here's the crashlog anyway:

Error Report collected on : Wed Jan 27 13:32:09 GMT+01:00 2021

Informations :

==============

Version : 1.3.2021JAN20

Package : ev.watchdog

FilePath : EVWatchdog

Phone ModelNokia 7 plus

Android Version : 10

Board : SDM660

Brand : Nokia

Device : B2N_sprout

Display : 00WW_4_15L

Finger Print : Nokia/Onyx_00WW/B2N_sprout:10/QKQ1.190828.002/00WW_4_15L:user/release-keys

Host : cm-build-42-20

ID : QKQ1.190828.002

Model : Nokia 7 plus

Product : Onyx_00WW

Tags : release-keys

Time : 1609153231000

Type : user

User : cm

Total Internal memory : 51775152128

Available Internal memory : 18132860928

Stack :

=======

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: View=DecorView@6229505[MainActivity] not attached to window manager

at android.view.WindowManagerGlobal.findViewLocked(WindowManagerGlobal.java:517)

at android.view.WindowManagerGlobal.removeView(WindowManagerGlobal.java:426)

at android.view.WindowManagerImpl.removeViewImmediate(WindowManagerImpl.java:128)

at android.app.Dialog.dismissDialog(Dialog.java:389)

at android.app.Dialog.dismiss(Dialog.java:371)

at ev.watchdog.widget.a.a(Unknown Source:10)

at ev.watchdog.activity.MainActivity$p.onServiceConnected(Unknown Source:183)

at android.app.LoadedApk$ServiceDispatcher.doConnected(LoadedApk.java:1948)

at android.app.LoadedApk$ServiceDispatcher$RunConnection.run(LoadedApk.java:1980)

at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:883)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:100)

at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:214)

at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7397)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)

at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:492)

at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:935)

Cause :

=======

**** End of current Report ***

23. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Hola Daniel,

I consider it solved now with the prompt whether to resume or not. But still I had difficulties to start the app away from the car: The last nail was disabling the "tips" option as I realized I couldn't press "GOT IT" successfully (it hanged). Now I can fire up the app again when at home and I want to see the trips offline.

Obrigado,
    Manuel F.