EV Road Trip: Charging Situation in Lewis & Harris

Discussion in 'General' started by EV-Travellers, Aug 12, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CHARGING PLACES IN LEWIS & HARRIS
    (plus the recent charging situation for the Isle of Skye)

Part of my 143 day EV photo tour was to the Isle of Lewis and Harris.
    I've summarised my experience and advice on EV charging in the Outer Hebrides (plus a quick recap of the situation in Skye).

If you want to watch the video of this part of the tour, you can do this here:

Or you can read the blog:
    https://www.joanaimages.com/lewisharris/
    With photos of chargers etc.

Charging your electric vehicle is not always easy in the Outer Hebrides. There are only two rapid charging stations (50kW), one in Lewis (Stornoway) and one in Harris (Tarbert). At Stornoway we faced hour-long queues, especially when a ferry arrived. We have often decided that it makes more sense to charge on a slower 22kW charger but use the charging time to eat or do something else.

In Tarbert it was a bit easier. When we were on the island (July 2023) charging was still free, but we were already seeing a new charging point that was about to go live. And once that's online, it won't be free anymore.

There are a few 22kW chargers across the island. If you drive a lot, I would recommend planning your charging stops accordingly.

Some are located next to the village cafe and I think it's only fair to contribute to the community by enjoying a cup of coffee or tea or even by having lunch there while charging.

For example, we did that at the Uig community center which is great when you want to go to the Mangersta Stacks.
    And in Breaclete, which is very convenient to visit Great Bernera with your electric vehicle.

If you want to see North Lewis there is a charging station near Eoropie Beach which is great for visiting the beach but also Butt of Lewis, Port Stoth etc. However, nothing to do at this charging station, it is located on school grounds (albeit open to the public), so waiting for the car to charge at 22kW is no fun.

Luckily our Fiat 500e only takes 2 to 2.5 hours (on the fastest charge setting) from empty to 100% and we usually stop when it's at 40% and we know we won't have a rapid charger. In 1 to 1.5 hours we're done with a full charge and usually combine this with a packed lunch (picnic tables are all over the island).

But I know some cars don't pick up the juice that quickly and I've heard of some Zoe drivers taking two hours to charge 20% at those charge points - that sucks!

In Harris there is a 22 kW charger down South in Leverburgh, next to the ferry terminal.
    But to be fair - the distances in Harris are so short and sooner or later you will be back in Tarbert with two 22kW chargers and one rapid charger, which will suffice.

One piece of urgent advice: check the ChargePlaceScotland app regularly to make sure the charging point you are trying to charge to is working! They seem to go out of service on a regular basis and it's no fun being stuck in a remote location with no e-juice and no alternative charging point!

Don't forget your CPS RFID card, the old charging stations don't accept charging via app (if you have mobile phone reception anyway...).

Another tip, if you are catching the ferry from Tabert to Uig on the Isle of Skye on the way back, make sure you fully charge your car in Tabert - the charging situation in Skye is dire, when we were there there was NONE RAPID CHARGER at all and only one 22kW charger with one socket in Portree.
    The nearest charging points are all near the Skye Bridge as you exit the island.

All other EV chargers are out of order and we have met some EV drivers who have cancelled their stay in Skye and turned around due to the poor charging situation.
    Skye got a really bad reputation for that, and while people usually love Skye, mass tourism, inflated prices and the lack of working charging points seem to be changing that at the moment.

It almost seems like a method of trying to get rid of EV drivers. Is this a way to reduce overtourism?!?

So charge to 100% in Tarbert or you won't be able to drive through Skye to get home!!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. seonachan

seonachan New Member

Tapadh leat airson seo. I haven't been to Lewis since the advent of electric cars, but have very fond memories of living there. If they can boost their charging infrastructure, the relatively compact size of the Western Isles it would would make it an ideal place for EVs.

4. Hi Seonachan, I totally agree, but I also think that Lewis and Harris are anyway an ideal place, with or without EV