EV Registration Fees

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jimct, Feb 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

I wonder about the general feeling on this forum about increased registration fees assessed by U.S. states (or in any country) on EV's to compensate for the loss of gas tax revenue. Already 17 states have increased rates for EV's. I have two issues: don't we already pay taxes on electricity? And how is that in contrast to EV ownership incentives which are supposed to encourage getting away from fossil cars? I think they should raise gas taxes even more instead.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Not the forum for general discussion of EV issues, I think.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Once EV's will be a larger percentage of all vehicles, such tax is inevitable
    However, there may be some hurdles to inplement it. In many states, changing motors in cars is nit regulated and there is nothing thay will stop someone from converting a former gas car to electric powertrain. How will they tax those cars without knowing which cars were converted?
    Example:

5. The only benefit EV owners currently enjoy in New Zealand is not having to pay road tax until Jan 2022. That's worth a not-insignificant $0.072 per km, but that's all I've got to help pay off the extra $40k I spent on the Kona over the ICE version. Let's see ... 40000/0.072 = 555,555 kms.

We've already have govt infrastructure to apply this tax because diesel fuel is already not taxed at the pump like gasoline. You purchase distance units (at the rate above assuming the vehicle is under 3.5 tonne GW) and place a small card on the windscreen (next to the reg card) that must always indicate an odometer number over the current odometer. Big diesel trucks pay way more, BTW.

The problem I see is that this same road tax on an EV combined with typical public charging costs of about $0.60/kWh equate to a total running cost that matches that of running an equivalent gasoline car, around $0.13/km. Charging at home costs me $0.20/kWh but many people here pay slightly less. The reason I use public charging as a cost basis is that it is the apples-to-apples comparison with ICE. As an example, no gasoline station has ever asked me to sign up to use them exclusively (as per a domestic electricity supplier) and then only fill up at night.

I find that the majority of EV owners here have an EV for the running cost savings, not environmental reasons such as myself. I think there are going to be problems worldwide when authorities decide to tax EVs to cover road expenses. I do realise that the 7 cents a km is massively high compared with countries that have much larger populations, but that is the reality here.

6. I articulated my view on this in the following thread:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/consumer-reports-on-ev-tax-fees.8033/#post-90089

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Owners of EVs in Connecticut only pay $38 for a 2-yr registration, instead of $80 for a conventional gas vehicle. Hopefully, it stays this way considering how many other ways they tax the heck out of you here in CT.