EV makers learning to do more...with less

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Jun 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nice uplifting article I found, featuring Kona EV driven highway speeds and demonstrating how efficient our Kona EVs really are, relating to the ~250 miles EPA range given our "relatively" small battery packs...
    Highlights:
    "For cars offering the 250-mile-plus driving range that consumers seem to have set as a minimum threshold for consideration, batteries larger than 90 kilowatt-hours have become the standard. But Hyundai’s Kona Electric achieves a rated driving range of 258 miles with a smaller, lighter, and more affordable 64-kWh 356-volt lithium-ion polymer battery pack that employs prismatic cells provided by LG Chem.
    The EPA reports its electrical efficiency using the more relevant metric of kWh per 100 miles, with a score of 28 kWh/100. Incongruously, the car’s computer displays efficiency in miles per kilowatt-hour. During my test, the car averaged 4.0 miles/kWh.
    For this test, I drove the Kona to a destination that is 250 miles away, pushing the car to the limit of its rated range. On the way there, I experienced significant traffic that prompted me to apply periodic bursts of acceleration and some higher-speed situational driving of the sort that saps driving range.
    The Kona Electric is a handsome, comfortable compact hatchback that provided plenty of space for both cargo and passengers.
    The Kona doesn’t represent Hyundai’s latest electric drive technology, but it serves as a useful benchmark to demonstrate the current state of progress. With even new technology in upcoming models, there is the potential for even longer driving ranges with even smaller batteries, for even better prices.":)

John Lumsden and markintosh13 like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.