EV lawn equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RLXXI, May 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

My old Toro z turn gas burner is finally giving up the ghost, 10+ years old and never a days problem until I started it up last weekend and ~~~~~WHOOOOM~~~~~ great big puff of blue smoke tells me it lost an oil control ring on the piston.

Still runs good but James Bond would be proud of the smoke screen it gives off when cutting grass. *sigh* time for a new one.

Rather than spend a huge chunk of change having it repaired I decided to jump on the EV riding mower platform and bought a Ryobi RM300e with bagger attachment, surprisingly not much more expensive than the Toro I bought 10 years ago for $2500.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-48-Volt-Brushless-30-in-50-Ah-Battery-Electric-Rear-Engine-Riding-Mower-and-Bagging-Kit-RY48130-1A/313872481

Time will tell if it lasts any length of time. From the 1-2+ year old posts on other websites for the model, it's very hopeful that it'll go the long haul.

My question, does anyone else have any bev lawn equipment and if so what brand/model is it and how has your experience been with it? I'm thinking trimmer and edger next on the list to get off the petrol wagon.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I have a Worx push mower 2x 36v nominal batteries. Over 5 years old and going good.

The only gotcha is if you leave the battery on the charger for a while, it'll discharge it to the maintenance level (50%). Good for the batteries, but slightly annoying when you go to mow some lawns and remember you left a battery on the charger.

RLXXI likes this.
  4. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

I hear ya on the battery maintain issue, I have a Dewalt drill and it's charger does the same damn thing. Luckily or not the riding mower uses 4 12v lead acid deep cycle and not lipo batteries and they state to leave it on charge so it's always ready to go.

We'll see how long they last.

gooki likes this.
  5. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Wouldn't you know it. EV mower comes in, yard needs cutting, mother nature had other ideas and gave us copious quantities of liquid sunshine. :rolleyes:

Man this thing has more features than my first car lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  6. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

Update: Anyone want to buy a lightly used Toro Z-Turn mower? ;) This little electric mower is fantastic. Cut my yard high on the 1st pass due to the length and I use the mulching feature, went over it at normal height and only used 1 bar out of 10 on the battery strength meter for both passes. :cool:

Fastnf likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lee Vining

Lee Vining New Member

USA
    Waiting for Honda to release their mower line up.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks to COSTCO, we are using the EVgo, 80 V series. Other than one plastic part, everything has been awesome. I especially like how the low-end torque means even the tallest grass thatch does not last.

Bob Wilson

Lee Vining likes this.
  10. Hikesh

Hikesh New Member

Holy smokes that looks awesome. I'd be out there mowing every week if I had that thing.