EV Battery Fires in General

Discussion in 'General' started by TonyInGA, Sep 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

As we all know, the media is flooding us with the "dangers" of the Chevy Bolt Battery Fires, and making it seem like those of us who own one (I own a 2020 Premier) are at a high risk of dying in our car/home (at present, it seems like it is the fault of the Battery Manufacturer, LG Chem. And, they make batteries for many different EVs).

Anyone who has followed the EV, knows, that the first EV came out in 1898. And, many of us, have ridden in a Golf cart. However, due to low distance, sluggish acceleration and costs ($650 for a Model T vs $1,750 for the P1 EV, https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car), EVs really have been around a LONG, long time.

However, in 2018 (latest data that I could find; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338542510_A_Review_of_Battery_Fires_in_Electric_Vehicles ), there were only 4 EV fires in the US (12 Worldwide) compared to 171,500 ICE-V fires in the US alone!

So, even if there were 100 EV battery fires yearly, the numbers are still very acceptable.

And, in looking at the manufacturing process, statistically speaking, even if there are 100 defective cells per 100,000 batteries, it's still only a .001% defect rate. A number that most manufacturers can only dream about.

Now, am I concerned about my Bolt going Boom? Only slightly. But, as recommended, I have never left it plugged in 24/7, since being informed not to, I don't intentionally exceed 90% SoC (for some reason, the GoM number, which IMO, will effect the SoC, have changed on me 5 or 6 times; the last 3 times, the numbers went up; even this A.M., it went from 183, to 207), and I don't let it get below 28% (est 70 miles) SoC.

Sorry, but parking 50 feet away from my place, or another vehicle is nearly impossible.

However, if GM offers to buy back my Bolt, will I do it? Probably, as I'm not a fan of the driver's seat comfort (yes, I got a cushion, and it helps. But, it also periodically comes loose at the head restraint).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Two things that I think are contributing to EV battery fire hysteria:
    1. Gasoline fires are well-known by everyone, so even though they happen much more often than battery fires, people feel comfortable with the risks.
    2. The relatively newer Li-Ion batteries (compared to lead acid) being used by EVs are frightening because of their "runaway" fire nature; there's really no way to extinguish them, and they have a tendency to "re-ignite".

4. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

1. Exactly. No one thinks twice, if property is damaged, or if someone is injured, or killed in a ICEV fire. But, let it be an EV fire, and it's headline news for a week.

2) While chem fires are indeed harder to extinguish, and can indeed, reignite, especially when using water, if dowsed properly, it shouldn't happen (e.g.: use foam instead). And, the Thermal Runaway depends greatly on the SoC.

Also, while quick to burn, Li-Ion battery fires burn a bit cooler, and for a shorter duration over an ICEV fire. See https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338542510_A_Review_of_Battery_Fires_in_Electric_Vehicles

5. While you are correct that the overall numbers aren’t very high the fact that my Kona and your Bolt could burn down the house with me inside while I charge overnight is a problem no matter how few times it happens.

6. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Not only do I not leave my Bolt plugged in when not in use, I don't charge my Bolt overnight either (only 1 time did I charge it to 100% SoC at a DCCS). Never have. And, given my foreseeable living arrangements (Duplex, or Apartments), probably never will.

You are, rightly so, worried about you, and your family. But, again, it's the numbers. As a population, and sign of the times, unless something happens to a family member, or a close friend, most of us don't even give it a 2nd (some, don't bother too much past the first paragraph) thought.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hello All,

I think people in the EV community are overthinking this. ICE cars, correct me if I'm wrong, catch fire after accidents. EV do catch fire after accidents but are statistically very low indeed, but the Bolt issue is when you are charging, something routine and is required. Samsung can tell you all about it. I just keep hearing this as comparison between ICE and EV. Apples and Oranges. I'm getting my first EV next year and don't want it igniting just by charging it.

285 million cars on the road and 171,000 fires 0.06%

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    electriceddy and Clamps like this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Good!

About your concerns, many EV makers are at best making their second generation models. I'm treating the compliance EVs as first generation but that is still being generous. The Munro reviews have shown some EVs have excellent pieces followed by an 'Oh SH*T!' moment.

10. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

While MOST ICE-Vs fires are results of accidents, there have been many instances where a ICE-V spontaneously combusts. And, a quick Google search bears this out.

https://www.paulsonandnace.com/bmws-parked-cars-spontaneously-combusting-no-one-seems-know/

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/Hyundai-Kia-fires-NHTSA-investigation/64789/

Good for you.

The battery fire ISN'T caused just by charging it. They're appear to be mainly caused by leaving it plugged in 24/7. But, also, and as Chevy recommends, NOT fully charging. Nor, letting the GoM get below 70 remaining miles (SoC = 28%).

11. Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LMacnit

LMacnit New Member

Your comparison of ICE fires vs Bolt fires is flawed. You have to compare fires/10,000 vehicles on the road to get a meaningful comparison. Plus it has to be a certain brand of ICE vehicles since you are comparing ICE fires to Bolt fires.

I have not bought into the “Burning down the House” Bolt fear mongers. I have 18,000 trouble-free miles on my 2020 and charge on in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs