European headlights?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Todd Hummel, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

I have to have both headlight modules replaced after striking a deer. And as they both have to be replaced I was wondering about using the European headlight modules but I was wondering if all the processing to drive them is done in the headlight module or if it is done in the car itself and if so will the north American software which is programmed into my car handle the processes. Has anyone had experience with this It? It would be nice if the modules are stand alone and can work in any ID-4.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It is a big question mark - one person looked at the part numbers for US and Europe, and found at least some of them to be the same. Suggesting that with software or adaptation that one can change the behavior from one to the other. It is likely that software protection would prevent you from using VCDS to simply tweak things, however.

But the most recent infrastructure bill had some news in that it opens the door for things like the matrix headlights. Once it goes through the rulemaking, and if the parts are truly all the same, it would be a minor tweak to enable it in the U.S..

Todd Hummel likes this.