Estimating battery percentage.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by polytech90, Apr 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polytech90

polytech90 New Member

Hello to all IONIQ 5 owners.
    I would like to see someday in a map software update that we can have a battery arrival level estimate when we input a new address or destination like many others ev manufacturers.
    this way we will have a better idea how to handle the charging stops when doing a road trip.
    what you guys think about this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Try the A Better Route Planner app.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  4. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

Or PlugShare

5. michael-in-raleigh

michael-in-raleigh New Member

the options to tweak your particular needs for a LD trip is much better on A Better Route Planner

but ya gotta hunt for them around the UI for the customization choices

if you're running an EV over the Appalachians, for example, when there is next-to-zero EV charge support... you need to calculate the addl weight, over your EV's GVW

headed to Traverse City MI from Raleigh this summer, so i need to add the weight of two normal adults, plus 2 Boston terriers and the enormous amount of luggage that my wife will want to take

ABRP will calculate those weights together, then use the topo data to adjust the EV's range accordingly, and give you approx charge levels that you'll have, by the time you reach your next charge station location

and i used that feature, with my guess on addl weight, to plan my route... to make charger location choices that gave me at least 20% charge level when i arrive, in case there's a 'problem' when i get to that particular charger!?!

in my case... Appalachia, in general, seems to have fewer EV chargers than the Sea of Tranquility

there's still at least a couple of EVs on the moon

6. polytech90

polytech90 New Member

Understood that there are a couple of apps out there that can make those calculations.
    however Hyundai map navigation can show you the mileage to the destination when you input a destination.
    so why not to calculate also the average of kw and battery percentage based on the mileage to drive to the destination.
    that way will predict the battery consumption
    and make our trip experience less hassle.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Once you get a feel for your mi/kWh efficiency you can plan your SoC % for trips. You should be in the 2.7mi/kWh range for pure 70mph highway driving for the IONIQ 5. For reference, the Model Y does about 3.85mi/kWh at 70mph highway driving.