EPS System Light

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mesa, Nov 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mesa

Mesa Member

The EPS light is on and the Clarity will not start. I have a call in to my dealership. Anybody else with this problem?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mesa

Mesa Member

Update. After not hearing from my dealership in over an hour, I tried the car again. It started and operated like normal. I went to town and ran a few errands and back home with no problems.

4. ExpensiveToys

ExpensiveToys New Member

Did it show being in accessory mode when EPS light was on? I did that once, I forgot to push in brake peddle prior to hitting the power button and put it into accessory mode. If I remember correctly, putting foot on brake and hitting button again didn't start the car. I think I ended up just hitting the button to turn accessory mode off, then had to put foot on the brake and hit the power button and it came on.

5. dnb

dnb Active Member

Yep I've done that a few times... its annoying that you can't start the car while in accessory mode, and it explicitly states to push the break and power button to turn the car on which doesn't work, you have to power off.

6. Mesa

Mesa Member

Thanks for the reply. Each time prior to trying to start the car, I pushed the power button with my foot off the break to get it out of the accessory mode. It would not start and the EPS would appear as the only light. I repeated the process several times. An hour later, the car was fine. I checked it this morning before my wife left the house, all was well. I don't believe this was an operator error.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

The first time I put the car in accessory mode (unintentionally), I really thought the car was messed up when it wouldn't start. I don't remember if I stumbled on the push button without foot on brake to get it out of accessory mode, or if it eventually reset on it's own. I did talk to the sales person I bought the car from after the event because I still hadn't figured out what happened, which of course was no immediate help. Whatever happened on your startup, it'll probably crop up again eventually and hopefully can be diagnosed....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here’s what I think is going on based on other posts and my experience in the car.
    When you enter accessory mode with start and no brake pedal the windows and head unit work fine but the climate control is off and the DRR lights do not illuminate. Also, if you open a door, the windows will no longer operate.

If you then push start without pressing the brake, you will enter some kind of “in between” mode instead of turning off the car. Now the dash will light up with everything as usual except the READY and EV indicators under the P/N/D gear indicator and you won’t get the temporary Ready to Drive with the car picture in the middle of the display. So it may look like it is ready to drive but it’s not. In this “in beetween” mode, the climate control will now work and the DRTs illuminate in addition to what you get in accessory mode. Also opening a door now will not turn off the windows. Pushing the start button again will turn the car off.

However at ANY time in ANY of the above scenarios, brake plus start will always “start” the car, as in make it ready to shift and go.
    Hope this helps. It first made me think my car was acting up until I realized what what actually happening.

insightman likes this.