Engine noise when Starting?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JRosen, Sep 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JRosen

JRosen New Member

Sorry for starting a thread. Didn't see anything about this. When I 'start' the car sometimes, I hear noise from the engine compartment. Is this the ICE? Battery cooling fan?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

I usually hear something go on and off like a fan/whiring noise. Keeps switching on then off . When I turn climate off it stops so I'm guessing it's the AC although I still hear it when it's cooler out.

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's the electric water pump for the power module, traction battery and traction motor.

insightman likes this.
  5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Climate control, at least for me. If I turn it off, I hear nothing until I start moving. Then the angel choir starts singing...

6. JRosen

JRosen New Member

Popped up the hood today and yes! It's the two fans. Turn off AC and no sound.

JJim likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I have to ask... what is that angel choir sound?

Sent from my Pixel using Inside EVs mobile app

9. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

That’s the sound the car makes at low speeds to warn pedestrians. You can hear it with the windows open radio off. Required by government. I think it’s a ‘sci fi’ type sound. Other ev type cars have it too.

10. I can hear "music" but it's so quiet that I thought it was simply the electric motor.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Some on this forum think even at that low volume it's still too loud and are looking for ways to disable it. The Canadian Claritys have a button to turn it off, but it re-enables itself the next time you start the car.

12. To remove this ad click here.