Energy use on highway

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Boston Charger, Aug 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Boston Charger

Boston Charger New Member

Settle an argument...while driving on the highway, my son sets the level to 3 arguing that the bar shows neutral, not charging nor using energy. I set it to 0 when driving highway. Driving in 3 feels like driving in third gear of a 4 speed transmission where 0 feels like overdrive in conventional vehicles.
    Which setting uses less energy?
    TIA

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

How about testing it ... ?? Drive in CRUISE Control at 65 in both modes for like 10-20 miles - using the same direction/path each time. Then check your KW Usage ... Personally, I always run in ECO and level 3 ...

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

In the Kia anyway, I think cruise overrides the settings, but I could be mistaken

Lots of people have been saying that no regen on the highway is more efficient, but I have not seen a difference in my limited experimentation

5. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I switch to 0 regen on highway too. It just seems like it should be more efficient rather than having the car switching between regen and drive many times as you drive. Don’t have any proof tho

6. nigels

nigels Active Member

I don’t do much highway driving, but when I do I like to use active cruise control to follow the car in front, regenerating automatically as the followed car slows down. I suspect 0 regen would be most efficient if you have the leeway to allow the car to speed up down hills and use that kinetic energy to help the car up the next incline, and perhaps slow more than you would if you had cruise set. I learned that kinetic approach with my first car, an 850cc Mini that needed all the help it could get to go up hills!

Around town, I use level 3 regen for one pedal driving. I’m getting 5.9 mi/kWh with that and don’t see a need to change since I’m never doing 80 to empty expeditions.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It doesn't make any difference and why should it?
    The only difference is that you have to maintain foot pedal pressure with regen set to >0

Otherwise you're coasting in both modes and thus doesn't make any difference in kWh used per mile.

Just a question of user preference.

John Lumsden likes this.