End a mid-cycle charge session?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jgood, Sep 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm a new Kona Electric owner. Recently I charged my car at a local city-owned free charger while shopping. When I returned to my car it was mid-charge but I needed to move on. I realized I'd left my phone at home accidentally and could not figure out how to stop the charge! The plug was locked and the fairly old charger had no buttons or interface to stop the charge. I poured over the manual to see how to stop the charge but could find nothing about manually ending a charge cycle. Is there some way to do this without a phone App to control the car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The easy solutions. Turn on your car and go to the EV icon. You can choose to charge your car to a certain percentage charge.. Change that percentage to a percentage lower than your current charge. That will stop the charging.. Once charging stopped, you disconnect and then you change your setting to whatever % you usually charge.
    I believe that you can also use the key fob to unlock the car which will open the lock to the plug and reduce current so that you can remove the J1772 handle from your car..

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I stop mine in mid charge all the time. Just unlock the door, either with the door handle or FOB, and pull out the plug.

engnrng likes this.
  5. Hmm. That's interesting. I had already unlocked the car when I tried to disconnect the charger and it was still locked in. I'll have to experiement with this and see what happens if I duplicate the sequence. Thanks for the feedback.

6. There is also a yellow/orange plug/handle when you open the hood that you can pull if all else fails.

eastpole likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

As a fellow new Kona owner, I had the same dilemma a week ago or so. Thanks to this forum, I learned that you have to unlock ALL doors (not just the drivers door) to unlock the charging handle. Once I figured that out, it's been working great!

electriceddy likes this.