Emporia Home Energy Monitor with 14 50A circuit sensors $100

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by OneEV, Jan 19, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Has 14 50 amp circuits sensors, plus the 2 power in clamps , wifi antenna etc..

works great . Wanted to find outr what was pulling so much juice (old water heater)

I paid $165 last year. upload_2024-1-19_15-0-26.png

upload_2024-1-19_15-2-33.png

upload_2024-1-19_15-2-9.png

I'll pay shipping lower 48 USA

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have one - I installed it back in April. Years ago, I had used something similar but only measured overall consumption, so it wasn't granular enough to be useful. The only downside to this thing is that it does clutter up the panel box a bit, but with some zip-ties I could neaten it up quite a bit.

When we moved into our current house, we were finding that the solar generated an excess in April/May/June, for which we got credits that were consumed in the fall. But in more recent years, that excess went down, so I wanted to know why. Eventually I came to some conclusions:
    • In the crawlspace, we have a de-humidifier. When we first moved in, the unit that was there was dead, and had been for a while. We replaced it with a newer unit, and it clearly consumes some electricity.
    • We had two attic fans that had stopped working. We had someone repair those, and on summer days they consume a fair amount.
    • And obviously car charging.
    For 2023 (from April onwards), here is what I saw:
    upload_2024-1-21_8-6-52.jpeg

There is also a balance of 2280kWh from misc circuits that I couldn't capture. The Emporia unit only has 16 sensors, but we have more circuits than that. I tried to sort of cherry-pick the ones that I thought would consume the most, but there are clearly others that I missed.

I should note that in the past, the electricity usage from Jan-Mar is the highest for us, but I am still trying to get my head around why the one heat pump uses so much more than the other one. It is older and less efficient - that could be part of it, but is probably only part of the story.

OneEV likes this.