Electrify America free charging

Discussion in 'Kia EV6' started by electriceddy, Feb 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I just did my first charge under this offer. Maine's sole EA location is in Scarborough, near Portland. There are four stations, two of which are 350 kW. One was open so I plugged in there, intending to charge from 17 percent to 90. It went fairly well, although max charge speed topped out at 137kW and total charge time was 41 minutes. The EV6 can take a much higher speed. The battery should have been warm after driving for 1 1/2 hours on the interstate. It's a mystery why the speed seemed somewhat limited. Another guy in his brand new Ioniq 5 was on the other 350 kW charger and his speed never topped 45. He said that EA limits the Ioniq 5 to no more than 30 minutes per charge session, thankfully not the case with the Kia.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That really surprised me so I went online and discovered your friend is right:

Ioniq 5: two years of 30-minute DC fast charging sessions at no additional cost
    EV6: 1,000 kWh of complimentary charging

However, the number of 30-minute Ioniq 5 charging sessions appears to be unlimited, so over two years the Ioniq 5 could possibly exceed the 1,000 kWh allocation for the EV6.

It could become un-free if you're not careful to unplug your fully-charged EV6 quickly. "Drivers who do not unplug and move their vehicle within ten minutes after their charging session has completed will be charged a $0.40 per-minute idle fee."

Texas22Step likes this.
  5. You're right, and I'm aware of the 10 minute grace period. I only spent one minute. Just have to remember the rule.

I just finished watching Bjorn Nyland's 1000 mile challenge in which he came to the conclusion after repeated charge sessions that the maximum 235 kWh charge speed is easy to achieve, at least on Norway's Ionity chargers, IF battery temperature is above 25 degrees C (around 78F). He was keeping cabin temperature in the mid 70 range, so the HVAC system was scavenging heat from the battery which cooled it down unnecessarily. His advice was to go easy on HVAC use in the cold to keep battery temperature up so when charging is initiated the battery isn't cold-gated. He was amazed at the charge speed the EV6 is capable of.

insightman likes this.
  6. DLinLV

DLinLV New Member

I have already used 100kW of charge and will likely run out before the 3 years is up.

I originally signed up for the discounted charging on EA, which is $4.00 per month subscription fee. But it takes your charge rate down from .45/ kWh to .31 / kWh. If charged by the minute, its .12/ kWh up to 90 kW and /24/ kWh up to 350 kW charger. 10 minute grace, afterward its .40/minute idle fee.

7. To remove this ad click here.