Electric Vehicle Infotainment Graduate Research Help

Discussion in 'General' started by kpourmodheji, Sep 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kpourmodheji

kpourmodheji New Member

Hey there InsideEVs Forum,

I'm currently a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Design and Innovation program. As part of my capstone project, I'm looking to assess the user experience of infotainment systems in EVs. For now, I'm researching all U.S. EVs to understand the infotainment landscape!

I would love to hear about your experiences with EV displays!

What are some aspects you love about your display?

What can't you stand?

Any information will be enormously helpful! Thank you in advance!

All the best,

Kia Pourmodheji

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

1. My car (Kia Niro EV) is lacking in more than one resettable trip meter. There is one which is resettable, and the other auto resets after (by choice) either restart of car or 4 hours (approx) of idle time. Not helpful.

2. OEMs should just give up on their own navigation systems, and focus on the latest connection with phones, i.e., wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

3. More creative use of displays, a seen in some higher end models. Different driver-adjustable combinations of speedo, energy storage/consumption, etc.

4. kpourmodheji

kpourmodheji New Member

David,

This is awesome! Love the detail in this answer! This will be enormously helpful as I continue my research. If you have a chance I'd love to conduct an interview with you and learn more about your experience with the Kia Niro!

All the best,

Kia Pourmodheji

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have never really liked the phone thing. It *can* work, but it takes a lot more button/screen presses in order to get the thing up, it can really chew up the battery on the phone, and if you are in areas with really poor data or in a dead zone, you are completely out of luck.

The builtin navi just comes on automatically when I turn on the car - that's adequate if I just want to see where I am and what local conditions might be like.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

No problem but my Tesla Model 3 has turned out to be the most horrible experience possible. Really dangerous and deadly experience. It obviously kills people. Don't ask me for examples.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Bob,

Your sponsors putting the screws to you?

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

No, just having some fun with a lame thread:
    This sent me over the edge. AM/FM/Satellite radio is a wasteland. Internet radio has a few bright spots but I tend to catch up on my YouTube channels at home. So I to my current podcasts or play music I've bought (i.e., commercial free.)

Most 'college' students at least make a Survey Monkey questionnaire to corral the responses to the subject area. I felt the OP was asking us to make up the survey.

Bob Wilson

10. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Tesla model S
    Big screen, easy to read, correct touch sensitivity.
    Critical functions easy to find.
    Advanced function in logical structure.
    Good audio.
    The UI is fast. Do not underestimate this.
    Best of all the two wheel controls and single button to initiate audio control let me do all my infotainment needs without reading a manual, and without taking my eyes of the road.

Only point of confusion was the seat heating icon. I mistook it for something else and didn't realise I'd turned it on until I got a very warm bum.

11. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Nissan leaf s
    Infotainment was in japanese with no way to switch to English.
    Only useful feature was the reversing camera.
    No volume knob, no steering wheel controls.

I removed it for a cheap Nissan oem unit. I lose the reversing camera but get a volume knob back.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Overall I agree with the poster above. If you can't do it well (here's looking at you Ford Sync3), just have a dumb display and let the phone do all the work via android auto and carplay.

bwilson4web likes this.