Eibach coilovers

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JonR, Apr 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I just saw on the German Eibach site that they now have coilovers for the SE.
    Part number: PSS65-57-004-08-22

[​IMG]

These coilovers are only height adjustable.

TUV approval
    Brochure

I don't see an MSRP but I'm guessing it will be at least $1500.

polyphonic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    That’s pretty neat, but I bet they’re very similar to the Bilstein B14, which used Eibach progressive springs with Bilstein dampers.

4. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

But Bilstein currently do not have coilovers for the SE. We have different ride heights, weight, and weight distribution.

SameGuy likes this.
  5. SameGuy

YUL
    I’d be willing to bet there’d be little difference in the spring rates and valving of a “street performance” kit from one sub-model to the next. A difference of 300 lbs won’t do it, though the added ride height on the SE might affect the available drop and alignments. Note that I didn’t say the B14 kit for the Cooper S is a direct substitute for the Eibach kit, only that I’m pretty sure they are similar.

6. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

You are probably right but ST/KW have different spring rates for the SE coilovers. They don't publish the rates but the part numbers are different.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Are you going to corner balance the SE?

SameGuy likes this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    I think it’s long enough, wide enough, and heavy enough that I’d pay extra to have that done.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Does anybody know how they raised the ride height of the SE? Is it just altered perches, or something more involved?

11. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Good to know of another option available. Still leaning towards the ST-XA (adjustable height and damping) at that price point though!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    The adjustable damping makes them very attractive at that price point. My wife might castrate me if I dove into such modding right off the bat, though, “If it’s not the car you wanted, why did you buy it??” ;)

polyphonic likes this.
  14. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the plan. I doubt it will do much but I need an alignment too.

I researched the part numbers and posted somewhere on the NAM forum. Just about everything is the same between the S and the SE.
    https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/e-mini-2020/350939-lowering-springs.html#post4572413

In the back, the rear trailing arm bracket is different and the rear subframe is different. The rest is basically the same except where the rear spring sits on the body. The SE has a small cup that is welded to the body that is about 1.5" tall and this doesn't exist on the S body.

In the front, the subframe is different but we don't have an ICE. This must be spaced further from the body in the front.

I believe it is the same approach Subaru takes for the Outback version of the Legacy where the subframes are spaced further from the body.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    Thank you, and double thanks for the link.

16. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Because of the tax credit. Look at al the $$ the govt is giving me to customize it.

Tell me how it works. I may try it after you. Stressing the after part.

SameGuy likes this.
  17. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Just explain that they don't make the car you actually want, so you just start with the closest thing :)

SameGuy likes this.
  18. david9999999

david9999999 Member

Nice to see more options becoming available! I’ve purchased the KW coilovers and plan to install them in the next week or so.