Dyson EV news

Discussion in 'General' started by Richard_arch74, May 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. larrenz

larrenz Member

Looks promising but I think it will be overpriced.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Selling and servicing a car is a different ball game from selling vacuum cleaners. You have to invest at lot of time, effort and money. Yes Tesla did it, but then competitors were writing Tesla off and Elon was able to slip though the cracks, until of course he could not be ignored. Dyson will not have that luxury, the moment they unviel a strategy, competitors will be executing a counter attack. The car better be something unique or Dyson should partner with someone.

4. JJ2

JJ2 Member

I would expect a Dyson to levitate, with no wheels. And maybe suck polution out of the air as it drives. And money out of our pockets!

Domenick likes this.
  5. To remove this ad click here.

6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

If patents were an indication that some technology is real, then by now we would all be driving EVs powered by EEStor's magic "EESU" battery/capacitor.

Of course Dyson is an established company making a real product, and thus there shouldn't be any suggestion that Dyson's patents are merely to support a fraud or delusion (or some of both), as EEStor's were. But neither should there be a belief that something is "real" just because someone patented it.

The patent industry is very far from what it used to be, or what it was intended to be. These days, most patents are filed by companies trying to prevent competitors from putting anything into production which would compete with the company's products. Also, there are patent trolls who file patents not for any legitimate purpose, but only so they can extort money from honest companies by claiming patent infringement.

7. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Agreed on your opinion of the industry. I have three patents and know they're mostly bull **** designed to impare the competition.

In Dynson's defence, he has a history of bringing new products to market. If Tesla wasn't in the picture, I'd give Dyson more chance of success.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Okay, but making automobiles is a heavy industry, vs. making vacuum sweepers, which is a light industry. IMHO this is like claiming that Apple will get into the business of building EVs. Altho it's not impossible, it's way outside their comfort zone -- Apple, too, makes only light industry products -- and I seriously doubt its gonna happen, either for Dyson or for Apple.

9. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Making mass market vacuum cleaners from nothing isn’t something to sneeze at. Look at how many Kickstarter projects fail, and that’s with millions in presales.

I’ve no doubt Dyson will be able to design and build a good EV. However I expect it to be a premium offering, but I don’t see it being competitive with Tesla. Yes there’s room in the market for more than one brand, but it’s not just an EV race, we’ve got an Autonomous vehicle race going on as well. And I don’t believe Dyson has the software experience in house to get in front.

Google may well live to regret not going all in on manufacturing cars, and instead relying on established manufacturers. Who knows what Apples plans are. Time will tell. The next decade is going to be a wild ride.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. I hope you're right about the next decade and we can see lots of BEV models at prices most people could afford, I've been reading a not so rosy picture of private car ownership post 2021 and over the next decade regarding the EU new CO2 regulations.
    It doesn't make for good reading for the mass market EV car buyer :( https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2019/05/23/when-european-fuel-efficiency-rules-bite-buyers-can-choose-the-microcar-or-the-bus/?ss=logistics-transport#32f388f7111e

12. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

What the article glosses over is innovation. Necessity is the mother of invention, that there will be a lot of emphasis on breakthrough technology. Forbes as a publication is more libertarian in views with emphasis on market forces rather than regulation. This article seems to be in the same vein. That is not to say that there will be no pain. These regulations may be very painful to some companies, but I do not believe that is all gloom and doom. That there will be some solutions that allow the small car to exist.