Driving Review of SE Says More EVs Like It Needed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Oct 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Jalopnik has an SE review of the actual driving experience, and how really good it is.

The Mini Cooper SE Isn't Perfect, But We Need More EVs Like It

The review focuses on the MINI-ness of the car, and how it handles instead of the typical complaints about range. I love this quote:

I fear that cheap, joyful, shoe-shaped grocery-getters are exactly the kind of vehicles being left behind as electrification takes root. This Mini has my best interests in mind, when every other EV has told me my interests are wrong. For that, it deserves my attention.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Totally love the article and the 1st read I had about how the SE handles itself as a great ride. The quote that I love and totally relate to -> “I unsurprisingly lamented having no excuse to move my left foot or right hand with regularity. “

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  4. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Who would have expected Jalopnik to come up with one of the more insightful reviews??

Skip the comments though. I couldn’t find evidence that any of them actually read the article.

MichaelC and ghost like this.
  5. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I am very happy with his conclusion.

6. ghost

ghost Active Member

The comments are all complaints about range by people who don't own an SE.

polyphonic likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My SE is the first car without a third pedal I've purchased (for my use--my wife doesn't do third pedals). I didn't like that the multi-gear automatic transmissions I had driven didn't shift when I would have shifted and the CVT transmissions held engine revs in a limited range that I could never get used to. Going from 0 to 93 mph without experiencing the effect of a transmission compensating for an ICE's limited power-band was a big revelation for me and I love it. "Heel-and-toe"--I'm laughing at how hard I worked at learning to perform that awkward skill!

Better still, it's great that my wife gets to have fun driving the fun car now. Our Clarity PHEV feels very neglected.

Texas22Step, azausa, ghost and 2 others like this.
  9. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Same here, the only reason I even preferred manual transmissions in the first place was because automatics didn't do what I wanted. They were reactive rather than proactive so could never be as good.

Rev matching and shifting was kind of fun but the thrill of instant torque is way better!

10. ghost

ghost Active Member

I had an eGolf, and it was eye opening to accelerate w/o the shifting lag. I once took it into the dealer to fix a window switch (typical VW), and they loaned me an ICE Golf (non GTI). It was such a dog. Waiting for it to shift to the next gear seemed like an eternity.

11. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Agreed. No shifting raises the driving ‘bar’ to new heights. The SE is so smooth and addicting it ought to be considered a controlled substance. OK, maybe I’m exaggerating.

But, maybe not!

azausa and ghost like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

The MINI Cooper SE IS a controlled substance. It's controlled by delayed availability. Just ask the forum members gazing day after day at an unreliable line graph, hoping it will give them a clue to when their fix will come in.

14. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I have an unhealthy relation to this comment… literally checking every couple hours.

azausa likes this.
  15. Luis Hoffer

Luis Hoffer Member

Same experience transitioning from a Manual Subaru STI with a rod based shifter and a heavy clutch as my daily driver to the SE, the efficiency of the SE's powertrain never had me looking back. We still have one manual vehicle that I can heel and toe that adds a sense of purpose to driving but is only fun in small doses.

azausa likes this.
  16. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Do we think that MINI is actually limiting the production of SE’s? Or is it simply that with MINI buyers are fully exposed to the ordering, manufacturing, and transportation processes that we never see when buying a typical American car ‘off the lot’?

17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I say no. All MINI models are currently constrained. My dealer had only four new vehicles on their lot last week, of any kind. Their showroom floor is empty. And they're one of the bigger dealers, once having four GPs on hand.

18. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Best quote!!

But, but, but, the buttheads on other forums say an electric car has no soul. My response (as a Porsche owner) has been tell me how the electric steering on your Porsche feels so much better than the BMW electric steering of my Mini, and how the shifts of your PDK offer more soul than my instant torque. The manual Cayman is not going anywhere for many years, and the manual 1er will probably be there for my daughter when she gets her diploma.

polyphonic likes this.
  19. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

PDK is the best there is... but electric is so much more satisfying.

20. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Well. Having owned a S2000 and having to sell it cause it was just going to lead to a second disaster. I can say that nothing beats the satisfaction of each subsequent perfect shift that helps you to beat out other cars at the red light. But not worrying that you need to do a perfect down shift to pass someone in a SE is another kind of satisfaction. But i can see myself trying to work hard and maybe get a Porsche EV next.

21. insightman

Will Porsche beat MINI to offer the 1st drop-top EV since the original Tesla Roadster? MINI understands the market for convertibles so I assume they just couldn't find a way to make an EV version of the current generation that was safe.

22. Don’t think so, here in NZ, the queue is now 6 months to get an SE, and due to chip shortages, HK is not part of the specs anymore.

23. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I hope that this is the precursor of new Mini Minor coming out soon. still hanging in there to be the only SE around town.