Door Opening Question

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by David Towle, Jun 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

This is my first post, I've had the ID.4 1st Edition a little over a month. I also have owned a Honda Clarity PHEV for 2.5 years/ 50,000 miles. We're very happy overall with both cars. Although it is hard to understand how the GPS in a brand new car can have fewer successful searches than a 5 year old $30 Garmin.

We have an issue with the doors which seems quite strange. To get into the car always takes one pull of the outside handle. To get out of it though takes either one, two, or three pulls before the door opens. This happens with at least 3 of the 4 doors. I haven't figured out if there is any connection to how we've operated the car that correlates to the number of pulls, my wife is the main driver. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? The car is going in for its first service in a couple weeks.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Well looks like this mystery needs to be solved by the dealer.. Thanks.

4. gonzogeezer

gonzogeezer New Member

I’ve noticed the same thing, but I can’t get it to do it consistently to be able to try to report it. It works on the first pull more times than it doesn’t, at least for me.

David Towle likes this.
  5. Hmmm.

So the interior door pulls aren't "mechanical" at all ... i.e. they only initiate "logic" which unlatches the door?

Complexity - for complexity's sake - is not a positive attribute in any engineered design.

(although I suspect "electronic" is less expensive to mass-produce per-unit than it's "mechanical" equivalent)​

Might this be an example of, "a solution in search of a problem?"

Some functions - like EGRESS - need to to be more "inherently reliable" than others.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    David Towle likes this.
  6. Michael Ervin

Michael Ervin New Member

If you lightly push with your elbow while you pull the handle gently, it should let you out every time. It does take some getting used to.

OneEV likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MIniCO

MIniCO New Member

Bringing up an old thread…I have this issue with the doors needing 2-3 pulls from the inside before opening. I have a two week old 2023 id4. I can usually open it if I use two hands; one on the release and the other to push the door simultaneously. However if I use one hand to release and my elbow to push it usually requires 2-3 pulls of the release. I only pull the release enough to feel some resistance. Is there a setting that I can change? Is there something I’m not understanding or does my car need to go back to the dealer? This strikes me as a potential safety issue.

9. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

bingo.. It took me awhile to get my Uber passengers "trained" but yep, pull handle push against door