"Dog mode" for Mini SE?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Cheap Sunglasses, Mar 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A friend of ours has a Tesla. She's able to control the climate inside of it using something called "Dog Mode" which allows her to briefly leave her dog in the car. Is something like this possible with the Mini?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You could remotely precondition via the MINI app on your smartphone. As for the whoopie cushion feature, I'm afraid you will have to buy a real one.

4. So preconditioning can be used used for Both warming and cooling the car?

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

If the heat pump if running then yes it can cool the cabin. Members are reporting about 72-76F cabin temperature for heating/cooling but I cannot confirm because it's 44F outside.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, but you have no control over how cool the cabin gets in the summer or how warm the cabin gets in the winter. So your dog may need a blanket or sweater in the summer (kidding). Also, preconditioning shuts itself off after 30 minutes, so no feature-length movies on hot summer days.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I believe Tesla's dog mode also displays some sort of "dog is safe" message on the display. The SE won't, so you might have concerned animal lovers breaking your windows.

ghost likes this.
  9. You'll need to make a laminated sign of some sort to display every time

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Great information. Thanks everyone!

11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Screw that. I'll pay the extra $30,000 for the Tesla (not).

Urbanengineer and endquote like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Laminated to minimize the chances your dog will try to eat the sign after becoming get upset at being left in the car?

I sometimes wonder if a really smart dog left in a car might punish their owner by waiting for someone to look in the window and then start writhing around on the seat to simulate heat-stroke.

14. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

You also have the option of turning on pre-conditioning as soon as you turn the car off, the option pops up automatically when you shut down. I'm not sure how long it goes for (I don't shop for more than 20 minutes), but it definitely keeps the car cool (72 deg), pretty sure it does the same to keep it warm to the same temp as long as you're not in -20F weather.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

15 minutes I believe, certainly not much longer than that (I've tested it).

16. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Ah, good to know!! I’ll test it too! Wonder if it’s because of mild climate it seems to go longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs