Does the Mini have a progressive steering?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Pierre Racine, Jul 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pierre Racine

Pierre Racine New Member

I intend to buy a Mini EV in Montréal but I hate the new trend of progressive steering in 2022 cars, it’s way too light even if it’s only at low speeds ( in the Golf I tried anyway). So I wondered if the Mini has also this feature. From what I understand the steering is heavier in sport mode…

By the way here in the Québec province we get a whopping 13 000 $ refund when buying an EV, which is 1/3 off the car suggested price! Plus a free level 2 home charger. I think it’s the best deal in the entire world as far as I know…

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

The steering is definitely not light in sport mode. I think I've driven in mid/green maybe once so done really know how they're different. Road feedback is ok in my opinion, but still probably one of the better electric power steering systems.

I got $10k off the US price of $30k so also 1/3 off and 30% off my charger (including installation) so pretty close to the same deal!

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Part of the MINI go-kart experience is the steering engagement. It's not a difficult vehicle to steer, but you definitely know when you're turning the car.

5. Think yourself lucky you don't live in the UK. We get a measly £1500, and thats dropped twice in 2 years, £500 a time. Their bragging about leading the world in electric vehicle take up, and carbon neutral, yet they give little incentive to go that way! The infrastructure, unless your in the richer south (London etc) is abismal. I'm lucky where I live because I have a few chargers around me, although it usualy works out at around 50% are not working properly.
    As for the steering on the Mini? I love it. I swapped from a JCW, and the Mini SE is just as much fun. On the motorways I usually do 70 to 80 mph with no trouble. (I've never been a one for checking my range, consumption etc.) As long as I know I have enough for there and back, I'll drive it like a mad Mini should be driven:)

insightman and Puppethead like this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Agreed. Part of what made me love the Mini was the handling and how responsive the steering is. Even in green mode it's better than most cars in its class

Akanaten likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.