Does the J3068 standard support V2G?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gabriel Teixeira, Sep 27, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Gabriel Teixeira

Gabriel Teixeira New Member

Does anyone know if the J3068 (or J-3068, I don't know the right spelling), standard also support drawing power from the vehicle? It would be useful to have this in a commercial vehicle working in a more remote area powering a shed or a isolated farm with solar panels at night or to have a truck at home and use it power the house when the electricity is expensive, then switch to cheap lower rates at night.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My reading is it concentrates on using North American, 3-phase, power to a vehicle charger. I didn't see a bi-directional operation described in the Wiki summary.

Bob Wilson

4. Gabriel Teixeira

Gabriel Teixeira New Member

Which Wiki? The Wikipedia? I also read it, but I couldn't find anything related to V2G either.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. jamcl3

jamcl3 New Member

Bidirectional power will be a focus of edition 2 of SAE J3068, but we have not started it yet. Various parties are testing now. Authorization to interconnect with the local utility grid will be standardized based on SAE J3072 and IEEE 1547, but dispatch will likely be left to proprietary messaging for now as there are so many use cases. "Islanded" operation (for example, powering a home when the grid is down) is a very different application that usually requires confirming a transfer switch actuation, that may or may not be standardized as the model is typically based on a traditional genset that has a starter battery, which is probably "overkill" for an EV based application.

bwilson4web likes this.