Does the 2022 Kona Electric have a heat pump..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Mar 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

I know the Canadian models do, but I’m hoping they finally integrated it for the U.S models. It gets pretty cold here in NY and I’d much rather have a heat pump and pay extra for it.

Anyone here any details on this?

thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As far as I understand the 2021 model has the heat pump already. So I would assume the 22 will too.

4. I looked through all the US 2021 model specs on hyundaiusa.com and it's not mentioned anywhere.

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I know the 2019 does not have the heat pump in the US. As for the 2020, I heard (?) it was introduced as standard. Canada's models came with heat pumps from the start. Can't verify the 2020's all have heat pumps. I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

6. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Hmm, I don’t know why this is such a difficult question to find an answer to. Hyundai needs to state if it does or doesn’t include a heat pump..because that’s a big deal for some people. Dealerships don’t even know which is pretty annoying :/

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

If you ask for a specific car, the dealer should be able to find out. It’s a pretty big unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Anybody get a definite answer on the heat pump in the U.S?

thanks guy

10. The heat pump was not overly promoted in Canadian models either. Hyundai just doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. I had to read specs and the automotive press very closely before I could confirm it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  11. Likewise, I have been unable to get a definitive answer as to whether or not a 2021 Australian Kona EV Highlander (equivalent to Ultimate as far as I can tell) has the heatpump. I would dearly love to now for sure. There are plenty of references to the HP on Hyundai's Australian pages, but they always refer back to the tests in Norway and never definitively say whether or not the Australian Kona has it. One dealer's website says it has both the HP and battery heater, but I doubt the battery heater - it's not cold enough here - and that makes me doubt the claim for the HP. But then, if the HP is present, perhaps the battery heater is part of that?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I don't see any sign of either heat pump or battery heater in the Aussie specs on the official website so I doubt very much either are present. There's no physical connection between the two items. Either are a big enough deal such that any importer would be silly not to advertise these features.
    The only benefit to the battery heater in the Aus climate would be that it can accelerate the onset of somewhat faster charging speeds from the start of DC fast charging when the pack is under 15°C. Frankly, if you DC charge after driving rather than before, the battery may already be warm enough anyway.
    The heat pump is a nice option but the higher-spec Aus model has heated seats (as ours does) and that will help minimise use of the resistive heater present in all versions.
    I think we have these two options standard in NZ because in 2018 the importer was forced to source cars of Irish spec before an AU/NZ version was formulated. We don't have any unusual import compliance standards (e.g. ADR for you) so it's easy to import any RHD vehicle. With an AU/NZ spec available they might be reluctant to reduce the established spec, having sliced out a solid piece of NZ's EV market.

14. Bholland

Bholland New Member

What does the heat pump do? The US version has a battery heater in the upgraded verson and ultra models only starting in 2020. Mine has one. I can tell it is on because my range drops like mad in the winter. It is not standard for some idiotic reason. I don't think mine has a heat pump if that is something they would advertise.

15. Thanks KiwiME for your thoughtful reply. I am awaiting a definitive reply from Hyundai AUS, but in the meantime tend to think you are correct, but hope you are not. How I envy your apparent lack of red tape over there. We are generally strangled by it.

We just took a drive from outer SW Sydney to Nowra, about 130km each way in our new Kona EV Highlander. Outbound was via some country roads, up and down in steep sandstone gorges, then a long downhill, descending a 300m escarpment. Returned via Kangaroo Valley, 400m up, 300 down, then 550m up and then after a few hilly country roads, a long gradual freeway 500m descent over 74km. We left with 87%, 390km range (using the heater, temp down to 4 degC, but the day warmed up and on the way home no heater was needed) and got home with 30%, 160 km after driving about 270km. I'm pretty impressed with that. Eco mode with 3rd stage regen and one pedal driving.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    KiwiME likes this.
  16. Shark

Shark Active Member

Gives you the ability to heat the interior of the car without as much negative effect on the driving range.

17. There are many articles on this subject. From https://insideevs.com/news/427715/hyundai-kia-new-heat-pump-technology/:

"A study from Korea’s Ministry of the Environment showed the Hyundai Kona Electric and Kia Niro EV kept 90 percent of their driving range “in temperatures of -7°C (19°F) with the HVAC system activated.” Other EVs without the heat pump had drops going from 18 percent to up to 43 percent when submitted to the same tests."

18. Maybe one of us could post a picture of our motor compartment showing the heat pump so people can compare with their own car's layout? I could do it tomorrow.

19. Here's a picture of the motor compartment of a 64kWh Kona with a heat pump. IMG_3593.jpg

20. Aside from the cluster of solenoid valves under the left plastic cover, on the firewall both an evaporator and condenser are present in the HVAC airflow (going right to left in this photo, I think) where a home reversible heat pump shares the same component. Without doubt this is so it can dehumidify the air efficiently when cooling outside air to bring the relative humidity (RH) from near 100% down to the 40-60% range where it's more comfortable for humans, same as what auto climate control does in an ICE, or building HVAC systems.
    There's also a resistive (PTC) heater at the right (orange wires) present for when the HP is ineffective in very cold temps. I'm sure mine will never kick in.

Kona HVAC.jpeg

electriceddy and John Lumsden like this.