Do I need a home EVSE or just an outlet?

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Calliope, Jul 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

  1. I have a 40 kW 2019 Leaf (in Canada), and I'm planning to add charging capability at my new cottage, assuming I'm lucky enough to get my offer accepted. I currently do not charge my vehicle at home (condo management is uncooperative), so it's my first time considering this question.

    Given that the Leaf comes with L1 and L2 charging equipment, do I actually need a 3rd party EVSE at my cottage (eg Juicebox, Clipper Creek, etc)? I am thinking that I can still get L2 charging if I get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed outside on a 40A circuit, without needing the extra equipment. Am I right, or am I missing something that will get me useful features. Yes, I won't have to pull out the cable from my trunk all the time, but that's about all I can see missing. Perhaps some speed? How do I calculate how much? That's a significant $800+ savings
  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. Kenneth Bokor

    Kenneth Bokor Active Member

    Hello Calliope, congrats on your Leaf! Yes you are correct, it comes with a L1/L2 so a NEMA plug as you mention would be enough. Wired up to a 30-40 amp circuit if you can should work great. I believe the Nissan Charger will support up to 24 amps, but you may have to check that on the Nissan site or google it.

    Hope this helps!
  4. Paul K

    Paul K Active Member

    An outlet would be great for a cottage as you're not commuting back and forth frequently. The wrinkle might be the total amp capacity of the electrical panel.
    If you're going to have a licensed electrician install your outlet they have to ascertain this first. I got caught up in that situation as I have all electric heat. It was
    either a $1500 to 2000 panel upgrade from 125 to 200 amps or remove some electric heaters which I had done. I have an Aerovironment 30amp dock on
    the side of the house. Had my first Leaf came with only a 110V evse so a 220V outlet was not an option. Just as well. The 120/240

    Strictly speaking any modification to a dwellings electrical system requires a permit and subsequent inspection. In a cottage situation you could probably get away
    with a d.i.y. or a buddy who "knows wiring". Done improperly could lead to a nasty electrical shock or fire so be mindful of that.

    I also congratulate you on your 40kwh Leaf which I have also. It's been totally reliable and is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned. I have had
    zero problems with battery over heating. Bummer about your condo management though.
  5. Thanks to you both. The cottage search goes on, but it's still in my plan.
    Domenick likes this.
  6. DJP

    DJP Active Member

    You may find that a 110V outdoor outlet is all that you need. I recently moved from a condo which wouldn't allow me to install power to my parking spot so for 5 years I have been using public charging stations. I'm sharing renting a house with my daughter and it has a 110V outlet next to the driveway. The battery get more that 40% in a 12 hour charge which is plenty for my purposes.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

  8. Pushmi-Pullyu

    Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

    Either way, you would be well advised – as Paul K already said – to have a licensed electrician check out the circuit that will be used to charge the car. That's the best "fire insurance" you can buy, and you only have to pay for it once!

    If you plan to install a charger ("EVSE"), then you're advised to get two or three bids on that. Some electricians overcharge by several hundred dollars for that service. Oh, and make sure it is a licensed electrician. Not all electricians for hire are licensed, at least not in the USA. Dunno about Canadian law.
  9. DJP

    DJP Active Member

Share This Page