DIY OE Piano Black Beltline swap tutorial video

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Aug 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Tweedbean over at the MINIF56 forum just posted this detailed video demonstrating how to remove the stock chromed beltline pieces and replace them with the OE Piano Black trim. Well worth a look if you’re considering this mod.

Ericwc, polyphonic, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for linking that video! Now that I see how easy the swap is, I'd be afraid someone would take my new Piano Black trim soon after I installed it. Then I'd have to watch Craig's List and eBay for days in hopes of recovering my black trim (or somebody else's stolen black trim).

The other MINI Cooper SE on my street is missing its antenna. I've hesitated to ask the owner if it was stolen or if she just likes the no-antenna look.

Because I'm old-school (and old everything else), I'm happy with the "throwback" chrome trim on my 2021 Iconic. I don't dislike the black trim, but I think MINI was cruel to change all the chrome trim to black trim EXCEPT the beltline trim. Wouldn't it be interesting to learn who made that decision? It must have been a bean-counter. "Follow the money" leads to the answer for so many questions.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. I'd love to do this except the black belt line is so damn expensive! Thus I've just stuck with the vinyl sticker kits... def not the same though!

SameGuy likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I share this sentiment. I like both, though. It looks so easy to replace that it would be fairly straightforward to change the trim back and forth as suits one’s mood.

insightman likes this.
  6. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Some of the pieces involved are very flimsy and easy to crack. Mine were also a bit hard to attach on the rear sides, definitely not something I’d want to do often.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Nice to see it is pretty easy. I'm still very happy I managed to get the black beltline from the factory/port. $75 more than the cost of the trim itself seemed okay to me for factory install.

SameGuy and GvilleGuy like this.
  9. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

You nailed it. Swapped mine over to black this weekend and my wife even commented on how she couldn't believe someone could just remove these pieces in a parking lot if you wanted...

Like you, I would absolutely love to know the inner workings of this decision!

Mine were not flimsy or easy to crack, but I will say the rear passenger side piece was hard to get all snapped into place properly!

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  10. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

The belt line pieces are sturdy, it’s where they click into plastic on the vehicle that is flimsy. Very thin plastic that you might not even realize is broken. Luckily it seemed designed in such a way that a little broken is fine, but I imaging too much swapping would cause issues.

edit: Here where there are thin slits through the plastic that accept the trim. Several spots like this along the back side and rear.
    7262E4B0-E324-4F4B-BBE7-1F805CFA0550.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  11. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like much has changed from my 95 M3 rockers. The clips were something like $2 each from the dealer, and a ten pack was about $2 from one of the websites.

12. To remove this ad click here.