Different kind of vehicle, a boat!

Discussion in 'General' started by danstanford, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. danstanford

danstanford New Member

This question is tangent to much of what is being discussed out there because the fuel cell will be an auxiliary power source as the boat is a sail boat with electric power. The system has a 6KW motor that will be only used to get the boat out from the dock or if stranded with no wind. There are sufficient lithium ion batteries to go for about 5 hours at a moderate cruising pace if so stranded. In the vast majority of cases this will be fine and the batteries will be re-charged through solar and re-generation while sailing.
    However, I am trying to find a solution for that circumstance where one would need double or triple the range that the batteries are capable of providing. Of course, battery technology may continue to improve to the point that this may be possible to do with battery power but I am more concerned with today and the next months.
    This has led me to think about a hydrogen fuel cell but I am having a hard time reconciling the fuel needs. If I look at a 2kw fuel cell I think I can see that it will require a K sized container that I cannot lift into the boat to run for 5 hours. Contrast this to a 2kw gas generator that will do the same on a little more than a gallon of gasoline.
    Do I have these right?
    Dan

2. To remove this ad click here.