Did ChargePoint increase their rates in 2019?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by qtpie, Jan 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Did anyone notice the rate changed on public ChargePoint chargers? We just noticed that the rate went up from $0.15/kWh to $0.25/kWh with our 1st 2019 charge on the same ChargePoint charger that we used throughout 2018. Ouch!!! That's a whopping 66.7% increase from last year's rate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BobS

BobS Active Member

That's $ 3.50 for a full charge . In my mind a full charge is approximately equal to a gallon of gasoline, and even less when it's cold outside. Cheaper to burn gasoline at today's prices.

I

228ra likes this.
  4. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

Yup, with this new rate or higher and current gas prices... we’ll be charging less at public chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I visited my first ChargePoint charger yesterday. It was a learning experience, and I don't mind paying for a learning experience. But I was not impressed by the price tradeoff. I would probably pay it occasionally just to enjoy the way the car drives in EV, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis with the current price of gasoline.

6. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

I think I misunderstand the system. I thought the individual owners of the ChargePoint locations set their own rates at the public stations. I have used ~5 public chargers in my local area (almost 100 times in total so far), and luckily they are all free. Not sure how long that will last.

Does ChargePoint really set rates?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I have yet to pay for charging.

I have only used the free public L2 chargers at the Sheriff's stations.

9. Kranberry

Kranberry Member

Up here in Canada, the different Chargepoint chargers all have different rates. I think the owners set it up. At work we are $1 first 4 hours, .25 every hour after that.

Local mall Chargepoint was free until this year, and now they are charging $2/hour.

I've seen other Chargepoint chargers charge a fee to connect and then a fee to charge. So up here definitely think owners choose how they want to chargeback.

Gas up where I am is more expensive to, so although prices have dropped significantly we are still paying around $4 CAD/$3 USD a gallon. At home at non-peak periods I pay around .11 a kWh. So electricity to me is still much cheaper than gas.

10. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

This is exactly why I chose a PHEV over full EV at this time. I firmly believe in 5 years, give or take, the battery technology along with other advancements in EV tech will be such that one would not have to rely on public charging to drive (as an example) 500 miles. Where I live...200-300 mile range doesn't get me to the beach for the most part...lol

Sure free public charging is out there but not for everyone. In my area there are some freebies but the locations are not generally destinations...so unless you want to hang out at a grocery store for 2 hours...but it is available if I choose.

For those who have to rely on free/for-fee chargers...I hope the pricing stays competitive.

Good luck.

11. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Looks like they are essentially a billing facility. I'm curious what their fee structure is.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

We need someone on this forum with a CP EVSE to tell the company they've decided to make their EVSE a profit-center and see what the company tells them.

14. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When I went to the website earlier, I saw that it doesn't give any details about setting up your own for-profit EVSE. They want interested parties to contact them. I was hoping an existing CP customer who had already surrendered their personal information to the company would be interested enough to take that next step to find out how it works.