Diagonal hashes/lines in windshield

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by DJCoopster, Oct 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I just figured it was my eyes' astigmatism causing it until I described it to my wife and she was able to see it, but does anyone else see diagonal 'hashes' or whatever in the windshield when looking at high contrast horizontal features?

It's hard to describe, but it might still be my astigmatism?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does the effect persist when you close either eye? Do you not see the same effect in a different car's windshield? Can a camera capture the effect?

4. DJCoopster

I have not been able to catch it in my phone, I think because it's at the windshield depth, not what the camera is focusing on.

It's both eyes, and my astigmatism is a different axis in each eye, so that makes me think it's the windshield again. My wife sees it too, exact same description as what I see.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Do you have a ceramic tint on your windshield?

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Do you park outside in a sunny area often and what products are you using to clean your interior and exterior glass?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DJCoopster

No tint, etc, I just took delivery 3 weeks ago, and I see it day and night both.

So the answer is no one else sees that.

I'll pull out my dslr and see if I can capture it with my 50mm 1.8 by focusing on the windshield.

9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Maybe the Oompa-Loompas that cleaned the car during prep smeared something on the inside of the windshield?

10. DJCoopster

I think it was the 10 weeks in Quality Check, had to be. lol

SameGuy likes this.
  11. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Now we know why it was in QC for so long. They were waiting for the diagonal line windshield to come in.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. callaflatbed

callaflatbed New Member

Are you wearing polarized lenses when you see this effect?​