Developed a rattle :-(

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Alf_W, Jul 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

After 19 months, the 2022 SE has developed an interior rattle. It only happens over bumpy roads, and sounds like it's coming from the extreme left side of the dash, near the the circular air vent. It sounds like hard plastic contact---a relatively sharp sound.

I've placed my hand over various spots to see if it muffles it, but no apparent change.

Has anyone had this, and any ideas what the cause might be?

It's the only errant sound the car has developed, so it's not too bad---but would love to fix this if I can.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Welcome to the sound of MINI.

4. Jkoya

Jkoya Member

Our 2023 SE developed a bumpy road rattle on the left side also. At first I thought it was coming from the door area, but not sure anymore. Not worth a trip to the dealer yet though...

5. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

And I'm obsessive about squeaks and rattles. I have an assortment of adhesive foam tapes, velcro, and tie wraps to silence errant sounds. But finding the source---always a challenge!

6. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

I have a rattle coming from the same area. What makes it stop is reaching to the left of the vent and pressing with my fingertips on the area shown in the picture below. I don't know if it's the same cause as your rattle, but it certainly is annoying.
    IMG_8240.jpg

Alf_W likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Thank you! I will test this and report back.

9. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Check your drivers side sun visor(the one above your head on side). Mine will randomly make a rattle sound like it’s coming from the dash.

Alf_W likes this.
  10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I used to have an annoying rattle (in previous Minis) that turned out to be the passenger seatbelt against the door frame. It would quit when I would pull on the seatbelt. Exceedingly annoying. It hasn't been much of a problem with the SE. Dunno why, the belt hangs in that same area.

Alf_W likes this.