Demo Drives... or, I could easily sell more Clarities.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Heino, Oct 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Heino

Heino Active Member

Not sure if this happens to anyone else here on the forum, but I frequently give people demo rides in my Clarity when they comment on my car.

I've already done this for co-workers, family members and friends who are intrigued about the plug-in hybdrid / ev technology.

Just yesterday, I was having dinner at someone's house when an out of town guest said he really liked my car. Throughout the evening he continued to ask me questions about various aspects of how it drives, the range of the vehicle etc. etc.

As we were preparing to leave, he asked about the size of the trunk. I said, let me show you. After showing him the trunk space, and the cubby hole for the charging cable - I told him to get it. That's where I go over some of the tech features, before finally taking them on a test drive around the block.

Like always, my passengers come away really impressed with the car. I think he is seriously considering purchasing a Clarity now.

My wife thinks Honda should send me a check, as I do a pretty good job explaining the vehicle to people.

I think if Honda Dealers had someone as knowledgeable as us on staff - they could easily sell more Clarities!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

There's no evidence dealers really want to sell Claritys. Something about fear of reduced maintenance fees. However, if dealers took the time to realize how often the Clarity's Maintenance Minder drags customers back for needless service, that fear would evaporate.

Also, there's no evidence Honda really wants to sell Claritys. Something about dislike of low (or negative?) profit margins.

4. Heino

Heino Active Member

Also, there's no evidence Honda really wants to sell Claritys. Something about dislike of low (or negative?) profit margins.[/QUOTE]

True, however, in my humble opinion - Dealers are just delaying the inevitable. Any company not willing to electrify their vehicles will be left behind when companies like Tesla keep moving forward, and offering more options along with more affordable pricing.

Anyone remember the EV1? Imagine if General Motors would have kept on developing that platform. Where would they be today in terms of battery technology and electric cars?

insightman likes this.
  5. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

True, however, in my humble opinion - Dealers are just delaying the inevitable. Any company not willing to electrify their vehicles will be left behind when companies like Tesla keep moving forward, and offering more options along with more affordable pricing.

Anyone remember the EV1? Imagine if General Motors would have kept on developing that platform. Where would they be today in terms of battery technology and electric cars?[/QUOTE]
    GM quit developing and producing the EV1 because the dealers complained they were not getting enough service business and dollars for the vehicle. They have the same issue today.